13. A proposition.

In a flurry of anxiousness, I darted into the elevator after catching sight of Dante making his way inside for lunch.

He had been persistent in his efforts to dine with me, insisting that he wanted to keep a watchful eye on my well-being.

As I stood before him, I could feel his unwavering gaze fixated on me from behind, causing me to nervously bite my lip. Despite my attempt to hide my nervousness, I was acutely aware of the intense scrutiny I was under.

Suddenly, just as the doors were about to close, Dante leaned in slightly closer to me, his captivating scent filling my senses and causing my cheeks to flush with a fiery blush.

I decided in that moment to break the silence and say what was on my mind that had been bothering me from yesterday.

"I hope you don't mind me asking, but I couldn't help but wonder why Mark is being put on a two-week probation while the rest of us are on one-month's probationary period," I inquired, trying my best to sound polite and inquisitive.

I felt a twinge of nervousness in my stomach. After all, I didn't want to come across as rude or confrontational in any way.

Dante didn't immediately respond to my question. Instead, he leaned forward, his intense gaze locking onto mine.

I could feel my heart rate increasing as he stopped the elevator, trapping us both in this confined space. Even though I tried my best to fight it, my body seemed to love his intoxicating scent of his cologne.

Finally, after what felt like an eternity, Dante spoke. "I appreciate your concern," he said, his voice low and measured. "But I'm afraid I can't discuss Mark's probation with you or anyone else at this time." His words were firm, leaving no room for argument.

Dante took a step forward, his piercing gaze bore into mine, and I felt like he could see into the depths of my soul.

Even with my best efforts, I took a step back, startled by his sudden movement. Dante continued to advance, each step bringing him closer to me, until my back was pressed hard against the elevator.

I stared up at him, my eyes wide with surprise and confusion, as he lifted his hand to rest next to my head.

The heat emanating from his body was noteworthy, and I could feel my own temperature rising from our close and intimate contact.

My mouth went dry as I stuttered out a question, "W-what are you doing?"

Dante's eyes were now daring me to confess something, and he asked in a low, husky voice, "Is there something between you and Mark that I should know about? Because as I've said before, office romance is strictly prohibited."

The intensity of his words hit me like a ton of bricks. I could feel my heart racing as I struggled to formulate a response.

There was nothing between me and Mark, and yet Dante's question made me wonder if there was something that he knew that I didn't.

For a moment, I considered his question, his gaze made it clear that he wouldn't tolerate any dishonesty.

So, I took a deep breath and said, "No, there's nothing between me and Mark. I was just curious about his probation period."

Dante took a moment gazing into my eyes before he nodded, seemingly satisfied with my answer, and stepped back, releasing me from the confines of the elevator as he pressed the lower floor button once again.

Once the doors opened, I stepped out, feeling both relieved and unsettled by the encounter. It was always clear that Dante was not a man to be trifled with.