27. Gone.

"Dante," I called out, my voice filled with a mix of surprise and uncertainty. Without uttering a single word, he forcefully barged into my small apartment, snatching the luggage from my grasp and dragging it back into the room. Thankfully my babies ran inside and saw nothing.

Mavis, taken aback by Dante's actions, couldn't help but yell at him in disbelief, "You can't do that!"

"A-ava, Aiden, go ahead and watch TV with Aunt May, in the livingroom." I hastily instructed my children, attempting to regain my composure. Deep inside, my heart raced with anxiety, mirroring the chaos of emotions swirling within me.

"Ok, Mumma," they chimed in unison. I watched as Dante's eyes remained fixed on the kids, observing their every move. There was a glimmer of admiration in his gaze as they joyfully made their way to their Aunt May' side.

Turning back to Mavis, I quickly intervened, gesturing for her to not say a word.

My lips trembled slightly as I spoke, stuttering his name, "Could you... give me a minute or two? I... I need to have a word with D-Dante in private." I had to be cautious, refraining from addressing him as Mr. Harrison, as that would surely trigger him in the wrong way.

Mavis seemed taken aback by my use of Dante's name, her expression reflecting a mix of confusion and surprise. Nonetheless, she nodded in agreement and quietly whispered, "You have some explaining to do woman." before leaving with my babies to go to her apartment to pack her things.

"Bye, bye, Dante!" The twins harmoniously sang in unison, their voices melding together in perfect unison as they bid farewell to their father.

Dante simply nodded with a smile at the twins, a subtle battle evident in his eyes as he resisted the urge to embrace them, instead offering a smile that radiated reassurance.

As Mavis and the twins left our apartment room, a notable sensation of Dante's penetrating gaze seemed to sear into the depths of my being, intensifying with each passing moment.

Fear coursed through my veins, overwhelming me with a sense of unpreparedness for what lay ahead. My nerves were torn, and I trembled with apprehension.

Silence enveloped the room, but it was far from comforting. It was an unsettling silence that allowed a flood of anxious thoughts to swirl in my mind. Meanwhile, Dante picked up a picture frame containing any image of me and the kids.

"Twins," Dante spoke softly, his voice tinged with a hint of longing and nostalgia. "I had two beautiful pair of twins, and I wasn't even there to witness their precious birth." He seemed lost in a bittersweet reverie, and I remained silent, knowing that his words were laced with anger and resentment.

My heart constricted with pain as I fought back tears, fully aware of the weight his words carried. "Did you know," Dante continued, his tone filled with a mix of accusation and sorrow, "it is against any custodial agreement for a parent to run off with a child without the other parent's knowledge? It's considered child abduction. Moreover, a parent can be charged with kidnapping their own child." I bit down on my trembling lips, tears welling in my eyes, as Dante's words pierced my heart with the harsh reality of the situation.

The mere thought of Dante taking my babies away from me filled me with a paralyzing fear. I couldn't fathom what I would do if that nightmare became a reality.

"I-I can explain," I stammered, my voice trembling with dread. The daggers of his gaze left me feeling completely immobilized, my throat tightening with every passing second.

"I'd love to hear the explanation for you running away from me with my kids," Dante erupted, his voice filled with fury, "and robbing me and their family of years of their childhood, only to come and live in this fucking shabby lifestyle!" His words struck me like a lightening, and I shrank back, intimidated by his anger.