Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Moving for the first time was a scary, but refreshing, change. It also meant a fuck-ton of driving. Specifically, 31 hours, but who's counting, right?

Sorry, I can't pretend. I was. I was counting. It was an exhausting three-day journey, guys. Especially with mom coming along. I appreciated her help and company, but listening to five hours of oldies and nearly dying from second-hand smoke weren't my ideal travel conditions. Did I mention it was my car and I was the one driving?

Despite the annoyances, my excitement never dimmed. Our surroundings changed with each day – and I could not get enough of it! From flat hills and highways to a rockier landscape foreign to my virgin eyes. On the final day, with only a few hours left, the scenery helped welcome me to a new reality. The roads turned hilly, the trees became massive, and the gaps between them displayed some gorgeous valleys. It was hard to believe this would be my new home. Who would have thought Oregon, a state you never fucking hear about, would be so beautiful?

We entered the small town of Bellport just after 6:30. It was located right on the coast, which I was super hyped about. I've always wanted to see the ocean. I've always dreamed of swimming in the ocean! I couldn't wait for both of those! If only my new roommate and guardian wasn't my busy-bee older sister. Pulling into her vacant driveway was a pretty good indication that I was basically on my own. Yeah, not exactly the 'welcome home' you would want, but it was the one I expected at least.

"Liz is probably still at work," mom said.

"She probably didn't want to help us unpack," I said, stepping out of my car.

"I'll go find the spare key. I think she told me where she hid it."

Having never seen Liz's house before, I was fairly impressed. It was wide, two-stories, and was a pretty gray blue color. It also had two symmetrical sides. There were two mirroring front doors and a bay window on each side. Why you may ask was there two of each? The house was a duplex and split into two units, with hers – now ours I guess – on the right. Man, that would be hard getting used to calling it my house too. I bet it would take a while for it to feel like it too.

Since she owned the whole house, she's been renting out the left half to a friend from her work. No doubt our neighbor was the one responsible for the yard work. That was the only explanation for the immaculate front yard. Liz wasn't the type to get her hands dirty (or anything dirty). Yet the grass was freshly cut, and flowers hugged the long wooden the porch.

Someone who pulls weeds and fluffs the mulch like this would probably burst with joy helping me haul my shit inside. Ugh, if only this ambitious neighbor was home. I would walk my merry ass up to the left door and offer them a deal of a lifetime: move my shit in for me for free so I didn't have to. I would at least shower the sucker with praise and gratitude.

After mom found the key, it was time to get to work. We opened the back door of my crammed black car. I caught a few loose nick-nacks before they tumbled out, but don't worry though. It was just some books and nothing that needed to be hidden. My embarrassing old stuffed animals and my vibrator were strategically packed at the bottom of a box nobody would open. Yes, I'm ashamed to say I put them in the same box, but what do you want from me? I didn't have the time to worry about guarding two boxes.

Since Liz was offering me the guest room, I didn't bring any furniture or need to. Thank god for that too. Because when mom and I headed inside and saw the stairs directly in front of us... talk about a fucking mountain, guys.

"Mom, why don't you just set everything at the bottom, and I'll haul it—"

"Josephine, stairs won't kill me. You should be more worried about me racing past you."