Chapter 16

Chapter 16

My eyes were damp, breaths short and painful. Staring at the limp girl in front of me stained my brain. That would have been me. That was so close to being me if Peter hadn't showed up. I had to remind myself it wasn't me. I was kneeling on the bed, not floating above my own body. That could have been me, but I was lucky – and I was still here.

Why did that happen? Hell, did it happen? Because my fucking lord, after everything that has happened, and now this... maybe I really was delusional or crazy. What other explanation was there? Nothing made sense to me anymore. Shit, was this even real? Was I even alive? Did I or did I not have a vagina?

Despite the shadows and dark room, the light from the window allowed me to see Peter. Standing next to the bed, he crossed his arms and studied the dead girl. He was insanely calm – that's what struck me. For what he just did, for taking someone's life and saving mine, his demeanor was relaxed. As if he was observing an exhibit at a museum and not someone he killed.

A mild irritation was stamped on his face when he glanced to me. "You know, I really cannot fucking stand you. This might traumatize you and there's nothing I can do to make you forget any of this. All because you had to be high-and-mighty and make a point by calling the cops." With a groan, he locked the door before grabbing the edge of the comforter, tossing it over the body and tucking it in around her.

The sick and gut-deep unease settled into my core. I didn't know how to move. I didn't know what to think. Didn't know what to do. Through my shallow breaths, I could only stare at her. But when her hallow lifeless eyes disappeared under the comforter, that brought me back to some level of reality.

Blinking, I took the whole picture in, wrapping my arms around my trembling stomach. What was he doing? Why was he wrapping her up? Wait, why was he shirtless? Why was the window now broken? My brain defaulted to the most obvious question though. "Why did she try to kill me?" I demanded through my hard breath, wincing in pain.

"Why? Because I couldn't stop her in time from trying. Because you called the cops."

I've never been through something this horrific. The gravity of the situation started to sink in more. The shock started to melt as I watched him. Watched him round the bed to better position her. He carelessly, disgustingly, tossed her dangling arm that was hanging out of the half-done cocoon. Her hand flopped on the bed, and he folded the rest of the comforter around her.

My heart jolted with each movement and shift of the bed under me. My breaths didn't slow. The panic in me started to set-in. Watching him wrap her, I darted off the bed.

"What are you doing?! You... T-This is a crime scene."

"A crime scene, huh?"

"Yeah, so don't touch anything before the police get here!" I screamed with wide eyes. "You're sick! What are you doing?! We need the police!"

"Well, don't worry. They are already here. Because you called the fucking cops...."

His pissy mood wasn't as unsettling as his lack of shock or emotion. My heart was racing harder and faster with each second, each knowing second of what happened. Of what I just went through and of what I was witnessing now! Oh my god, this was so sick and terrible! I couldn't contend with it. I was reaching my limit by watching him wrap up her body fully now that I was off the bed.

My panic took back over. I would have yelled by now, screamed for help, but my lungs burned so badly. I turned, bolted to the door. Needing out, needing the police, needing away from this hell, needing away from her body, from him, from what he was doing, and needing—

Peter's strong arm roughly circled me from behind. Pulling me back into his chest, his other hand cupped my forehead.

***