Chapter 31

Chapter 31

From the moment we landed up here, I was full of fear and excitement. I was also completely in awe. So much so that I didn't take note of what exactly this grated walk-way was built around.

The way to get up here without having the help of a fallen angel was through the top room of the lighthouse. Which was a round room made up of mostly glass panels. Peter actually guided me to the door of the round room and we headed inside. Honestly, it was unlike anything I've seen before. Never been to a lighthouse, let alone been inside at the top of one!

A huge light, one even bigger than us, was in the middle of the room, taking up most of the space. In the back corner was some tools, a broom, and a narrow opening in the floor, leading below to the rest of the lighthouse. All of which appeared untouched for who knows how long. The glass was dotted with dried mist and water; there was dust covering everything. If the exterior didn't scream this place was deserted, the inside did.

"I wonder how long this has been abandoned for," I whispered, slowly wandering around the room. The brick wall ended at my waist where the dirty glass started, allowing me to peer through to the surrounding view and orange sky.

"It's been decommissioned since the 80s. A newer lighthouse was built further up the coast, replacing this one," he said, standing off to the side.

"Oh. Gotcha. Makes sense that you wouldn't take me to the newer, safer, and more secure one," I mumbled. Then, an idea hit me when I passed by the broom. Stifling a smile, I took it and turned towards him. "This broom is coming with us."

"Why?"

"Think about it. What would someone think if they spot us in flying the sky?"

"Well, they'd probably be a little surprised."

"Right, because there is no explanation," I smirked, tapping the broom bristles against the creaky floor as I wandered over to him. "Your wings are invisible, so it literally looks like two people randomly zipping through the sky. But if you have a broom between your legs, that explains how it's possible. They'll just be like 'oh, it's a witch, no big deal.'"

Searching my eyes, he fought a smile. "That is the dumbest shit I've heard in a while."

"Too bad. We're taking this broom with us," I said, loving my stupid and funny idea.

He cocked a brow. "You know, just because you always need to be straddling something... doesn't mean I have to."

"Oh my god, shut up," I exclaimed with a laugh, slapping his shoulder. This man sure was a natural when it came to giving me shit and teasing me. Sure, I wasn't as smooth with my comebacks, but they were natural to throw back. "You're just nervous because you've probably had nothing happen below your belt in forever, but don't worry. You can't disappoint a broom. Not too much anyway."

Crossing his arms, he nodded to the large square opening in the floor a few feet away. "You want to talk smack, miss 'I'm such a badass' huh? Start climbing."

I scoffed. The top of a ladder rested against the opening cut in the dusty floor, reaching a few yards down to the landing of a huge spiral staircase. By the way, the ladder was wooden, small, and who knew how old. Yeah, no fucking thank you.

"You go first, then I'll think about it," I finally said.

"No, I might get hurt," he said in an obvious manner.

"That's why you should definitely go first," I teased, glancing through the grimy glass towards the gorgeous ocean. "Besides. I don't have time to nearly kill myself. You see, I have a date with the sunset."