Chapter 22

Chapter 22

The next few days, I didn't leave the house. My mind was too mashed for anything. Truly, I did absolutely nothing for days. I would lay on the couch and stare at the ceiling. Sit at the kitchen table in silence. I would wander the house aimlessly. I would attempt to apply for more scholarships, but my thoughts would make me pause. That knowledge bomb... shell-shocked me to my core.

I called into work (which was ballsy for my rocky attendance record). I wouldn't go for any walks or runs. I was just too dazed. And yes, too scared to leave and be attacked by a fucking demon. I even turned down a Saturday night out with Liz and her friends. Yeah, I couldn't believe she offered either.

Honestly, I think she asked only out of sympathy. She could probably see through the exhausted cracks of my façade. Regardless of the reason, I still hated passing that up – and made sure she knew I really did want to go. But it was hard enough trying to bond with Liz while she was alone. Add a few more friends and this withdrawn funk I was in... it wouldn't be good for me or them.

The doorbell rang at 8:30 as I was watching TV. Or rather watching the walls and ceiling. Liz was still getting ready, so I answered the door. The small amount of orange light left in the sky showed a curvy and pretty woman. She was maybe in her 40s, but definitely young at heart. She had a shimmery deep V-neck, a short skirt, and brown straightened shiny hair. Her wide grin said it didn't take much to get her excited. Liz told me earlier about this woman, Fiona. For being older than Liz, and much older than me, she apparently was always bubbly and hyper.

That description of her was quickly confirmed. "Oh my god! Oh my god! You must be Liz's little sister! Eeeee!" she squealed, giving me a big hug.

Smiling, I hugged her back. "You must be Fiona?"

"Aww! You already know my name. Your sis must brag about me constantly. Oh, I can't believe it! It's just so nice to finally meet you," she said in a bubbly voice, excitedly rocking us as we hugged. Pulling back, she looked me over with glee. "You look nothing like her!"

"That's exactly what I said!" I heard David chuckle. The sound of his front door closed, so he had just exited his unit only to walk down to mine and into sight. A man I haven't seen before was with him too. "Fiona, didn't I tell you? Look at the differences. You wouldn't know they're related."

"Well don't say it like that! She is gorgeous," she scolded.

"I never said she wasn't. She's pretty. Just not as pretty as me," David teased.

For living in a slow daze, it was hard to keep up – and hard mirroring their enthusiasm. David at least made it easier with his comment. I smirked. "David, you're just jealous. I know how you feel about my sexy legs."

"Well, learn to wax those brows like you do your legs," he threw back.

I snorted, shaking my head. Don't let him fool you, guys. My brows may be thick, but I plucked them and kept them in line. "You are just high maintenance."

The other man fondly glanced to David. "I can attest to that. You really are high maintenance."

"Jos, this is my boyfriend, Lonny," he gestured to the tall man beside him.

Stepping out onto the porch, I shook his hand. "Nice to meet you. I'm Josephine."

"For the record, I think your eyebrows look perfect and well maintained."

"Thank you."

This guy seemed like the humble one in the group. Which you would not guess by looking at him. Seriously, if I was forced to guess his occupation, I would said body-builder or a fitness instructor. The man's tall and robust frame displayed he was in over-the-top great shape. He didn't show it off either; he wore a shirt with his sleeves bunched up, modestly highlighting his muscular arms and chest. But his body and shaved took nothing away from his kind eyes. It was quite the contrast to David's leaner body and wild-card energy.