Chapter 7

Chapter 7

Liz was only going to Florida for one week, but her mountain of designer luggage was more suitable for a month-long trip. We just finished packing it all into her car when she realized she forgot one crucial thing. The most important accessory. That's right guys. Liz was now rummaging around the whole house for – get this – her favorite lipstick. God forbid she goes on her trip without it! It was amusing to see her true drama-queen side come out.

"Is it really that important?"

"Um, one of the most important things. Presentation is key. And I would prefer not using my old lipstick and having to reapply it every hour," she answered from around the corner in the kitchen.

Pop-tart in hand as I watched TV on the couch, I couldn't help but nearly laugh. Don't think I'm a lazy piece of shit for no reason. Nope, I helped her all morning, but I was drawing the line at this.

I listened to drawers slamming, her riffling through her purse, and shuffling papers around. Strange places to look for lost lipstick? You bet. Despite my sister being tidy, prissy, and clean, she was not organized.

"Wow... look at the time. 10:17...." I said loudly.

"Would you shut up," she laughed.

"What? I'm just astonished how fast time is going by," I said innocently. Did I mention Liz planned on leaving at 10:30 to catch her flight?

I heard the fast rhythm of her heels against the tile. She left the kitchen and came into sight on my right, passing me in the living room to head towards to the stairs. Again. "You've checked your room so many times already. Maybe check in my bathroom? I haven't see it, but you already looked everywhere," I muffled through my pop-tart.

Glancing to me, she paused. "Jos... remember the expensive white couch you're on?"

"Oh I'm sorry. I know, I just forgot," I said, quickly finishing the pop-tart and getting to my feet. That was one rule I always forgot (because it was absolutely stupid). If she didn't want stains, she shouldn't have bought a white couch. And it was just a pop-tart, not fucking tomato soup!

Though I refused to help her anymore this morning, I couldn't take watching her run around anymore in a frenzy. I followed her upstairs and helped her search until we finally found it. I will admit, it was a very pretty lipstick – and she made the case of why it was better than her other lipsticks while we looked. That's one thing that made me more comfortable around here. Though she was gone a lot, though we were different, she was clearly trying to talk to me more and make an effort.

Since she was running late, she grabbed her purse and we quickly headed out to her car. Then, she faced me, and quickly named off the basic reminders. "Alright, so remember... David is next door if you need anything. I have a credit card on the table for groceries. No eating on the white couch," she said teasingly before giving me a quick hug and getting into her car. "Get some more scholarship applications in too. We'll check the school out and start getting you registered when I get back. Text me if you have any questions or emergencies."

"Let me know when you land, okay?"

"Sure, Jos," she smiled, slamming her door shut before she was off.

Honestly... I wasn't too upset having the whole house to myself. It was nice having control of the place. Once I was back inside, I put away her mail, opened some windows, and did a little cleaning. I even picked some wild flowers from the edge of the field. The white and purple followers were so pretty! Yes, call me lame, but I could get giddy over small and simple things like that. I took pride in being a positive person (as much as I could anyway) so sue me. Pairing them with a few lilies from around the porch, I placed them in a vase on the coffee table.