Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Our road was perched parallel on a slight hill. All the houses were on one side while nothing but descending woods were on the other. Liz mentioned there were hiking trails in there that led to the ocean. Since I didn't have to work, I was finally able to pursue it!

I loved hiking and going for runs, but exploring new ground made it even more exciting. So, clad in my spandex shorts and white tank-top, I eagerly walked down our road. After the sixth house, a trail led me down the gradual slope of trees before about five other trails branched off. Knowing the coast was west of us, I took the trail furthest to the left.

The choice of hiking instead of running today was easy. It was my first time soaking in all the wild beauty! The hills, rocky terrain, the surrounding moss... it was the shit. This was nothing like the side-streets and paved walk-ways back home. The dirt path even took me past a few small trickling waterfalls tucked against the hills!

Honestly, that was a huge draw for me moving here. Back home in my old room (and now in my new room), I hung a collage of pictures showing different places I wanted travel to. For years I had that – and this was the main place I wanted to visit. The Pacific Northwest was just this picture of freedom for me with how beautiful it was. I wanted to come here even before Liz moved here (which yes, made me pretty salty and jealous at the time).

That's why I was excited to move here. That's why my smile refused to leave my face as I hiked. That's why my smile grew when, after 30 minutes... the ocean finally reached my eyes.

The trail led me out of the trees and to open cliff-tops. The rolling waves were ferocious, crashing against the side of the cliff. The blue color, the smell, the endlessness... it was better than I've ever imagined! If it wasn't so beautiful, I probably would have turned around immediately. Despite the cliff being maybe only 20 feet up, my fear of heights was pretty severe.

The massive pines had similar fears; they avoided growing near the cliffs, allowing plenty of space for me to continue walking without nearing the edges. All the while, my eyes absorbed the dazzling sight. There was even a moment where I sat down on the flat rock surface and just took in the waves. Several feet away from the edge of course.

Man, I couldn't wait to go swimming in this limitless pool. Maybe I could get Liz to go with me sometime. For now though, I felt content – and strangely proud. There weren't many things I've done that I can say made me feel accomplished (for myself anyway). This was one of them though. I've always had a fascination, a desire, for the ocean. Now, I can finally say I saw it.

***

By the time I hiked back home, rain began drizzling down. Not like that stopped my adventurous kick. Guys, I was so pathetically hyped up over seeing the ocean, I felt like I could take on the whole world now! I welcomed the rain, the chills it gave me. Ugh, it was my drug! I could snort or shoot this rainy and ocean air into my veins. If I ran into a wild bear or a moose, I probably would tackle them with a hug!

Maybe that was a little over the top. I was just... really happy with today and with myself. And it was still early in the day too! By the time I got home, it was only 2:00. Might as well keep the fun going and go explore the town too. Plus, I did need to go to the store. Liz only had three boxes of pop-tarts to last me the week. Sorry, sis. Three days tops.

After showering, I changed into a black camisole, tucking it into my khaki shorts with my teal leather belt. Yes folks, I tucked in my shirts, but don't insult me by thinking I'm a hipster. I might have a unique style, but you can bet your ass you won't ever catch me shopping at an all-organic store.

If only I did shop at one today. Because if I did, I wouldn't have been at the wrong place at the wrong time. If only I just stayed home.

Wipers on low, clearing the misty rain, I drove my car down the two-lane country road. I passed trees, wheat fields, and sparse houses on my way into town. I was nearly clear of the wooded areas... when a deer jumped into the road. Not in front of my car. But it jumped in front of the SUV ahead of me!