Chapter 21

Chapter 21

My view of Peter changed a few times today. He went from a creep stalker, to fallen angel, and now... Jamie's father? I was so confused, but after everything today, I was just going with it. Why wouldn't he be his dad? Shit, maybe Jamie's a dad too. Maybe I'm a fucking dad!

Peter was visibly annoyed that Jamie's words kept me from leaving. For that, good ole dad might have to give his son a spanking! Jesus, how utterly insane. Shifting to glance behind me towards the doors, Jamie's voice and footsteps on the staircase neared us.

"Dad, it's been forever since you took the boat out, but all I'm saying is don't burn through all the fuel," he chuckled just as he entered the office. Jamie saw me and froze, shocked to realize I unknowingly heard every word. Well, that one specific word he now said twice. A tight smile crawled to his face. "Jos. I didn't realize you were here."

Out of everything, this was one of the weirdest things I learned today. I just could not see this full-grown adult being the son of the other full-grown adult in the room. Jamie was tall (even slightly taller than Peter), had a brawny body-type, a shadow of facial hair. He truly looked to be only a few years younger than him!

Turning back to Peter, I jutted a thumb towards Jamie. "How... in the world?"

"Did your parents not tell you where babies come from?"

"You're his dad? His father?"

"That's right." Jamie didn't expect to walk into an unveiling of all their secrets, so Peter reassured his bewildered expression. "She knows now. Unfortunately."

Jamie wandered past the couch, looking between us. "She knows... everything?"

"Clearly not everything, sonny boy," I murmured, narrowing my eyes back to Peter. "How is that possible? You said you were brothers. You look like brothers."

"I'm a grumpy old man, remember?"

That's right. He was a grumpy old man despite what my eyes told me. The reminder made this physical impossibility more plausible. Peter's dirty blonde locks, the smoothness in his face, the toned and muscular frame of someone in their late 20s... didn't show his true age. He was older than he appeared, meaning... an 'older man' like him I guess could have had kids as old as him. It was just... confusing and mind-blowing. I didn't know angels could reproduce; I didn't know much about what being a fallen angel entailed. Aside from knowing they clearly do not age.

The anxiety, confusion, the intense truth was starting to eat at me. "I'm... I don't get this. If you're his father, but you don't age, shouldn't you both not age? Like I mean how do you both look around the same age? I'm just really fucking confused," I exhaled, sagging back, and pressing my index finger to my temple.

Jamie sat down next to me on the couch. "He doesn't age, but I do. I will continue to get older. I age just like you and everyone else."

"But you're his son. Aren't you like him?"

"Not at all."

My eyes widened. "Wait. Does that mean you are only half angel then?"

He hesitated to answer. He still could not wrap his head around being truthful with me. As if he was scared to give me straight explanations. He looked to Peter for validation, not wanting to go too far. Or maybe he was just uncomfortable not lying to my face.

The frustration bubbled to the surface. "Don't worry, I finally know what's going on, so you don't have to keep playing with my head. You acted innocent this entire time, like you knew nothing, but don't worry, you don't have to keep it up."