Chapter 32

Chapter 32

We landed in the shadows of the employee gravel lot. Lowering me to my feet, I looked past the few cars to the side of the restaurant. Vince and the others would be closing up soon. To think... if it wasn't for Peter, I would still be inside there and working. Instead, he showed me an unforgettable time. I loved every moment of it too. Or rather loved and feared every moment I suppose. Walking towards my car with him, my heart was still pounding – from another crazy flight through the sky and almost being a wolf's dinner.

"Funny how in your rule book, men are not allowed to grope a woman's ass. But sure, let's scare the ever-living shit out of her! That's totally okay," I mumbled with a smirk.

"What can I say. You've never met a gentleman like me before."

"Yes, such a gentleman," I said, turning to him when we reached my car.

Noticing what was still in my hand, he let out a humorous huff. "And would you quit hauling this stupid broom around?" he scoffed, trying to grab it from me.

"Never," I defended loudly, shoving his arm away. "It's our new pet."

Lit by the pub lights and open sky, the man rolled his eyes and tucked his hands in his pockets. I knew we would be going our separate ways for the night soon. But I was aching to figure out where this new side of him was coming from. I was scared to ask or pry ... but couldn't help but reopen the subject and dig for more. At least I would approach it in a way he would appreciate with an insult.

After a long pause, with the crickets singing behind us in the woods, I tried hiding my smile. "You know..." I started, studying him. "You're a selfish prick."

He was amused by my random insult. "And?"

"And... because of that... there is no way you did all of this tonight just for me," I said in a more serious tone.

"Sure I did," he said, tone calling me ridiculous. "I feel sorry for a loser like you. And you needed a proper distraction from everything."

He stayed joking, light-hearted, and wouldn't meet me at the serious level I was trying to get to with him. All because he didn't want to seem vulnerable. But I knew better. Tonight couldn't have been just for me. Maybe he also needed a proper distraction from everything too. Maybe he actually enjoyed tonight. Being him, he wouldn't admit that though.

"So you didn't enjoy one second of this?" I pushed.

"Not one second."

I smugly rocked on my heels. "Huh. Wait a second then. If that's true, that means you did all of this only for me even if you hated it. Which is even more thoughtful. Strange because either way... it sounds like you have a big heart."

No matter which way he went, he still looked like a caring man for a change. Because even if he hated tonight, he did it solely to make me feel better (which was sweet and flattering). Or he actually got something out of this and enjoyed himself too (which was also sweet and flattering).

Realizing he was stuck no matter which direction this went, he subtly smiled and looked down. His next words were finally laced with seriousness. "Josephine. Tonight was about having a fun and good distraction." Looking back up to me, a telling glint found his gaze, offering more meaning to his next words. "What's wrong with facing some fears in the process?"

What did that mean? Sure, he made me face my fears – basically forced me to – but that didn't tell me why he suddenly cared. Clearly, there was more to his words he was trying to convey without saying it directly.

Then, that window was gone. He withdrew his inviting gaze, stepped aside, unlocked my car, and retrieved his shirt. "Any longer with you and I'm going to want to blow my brains out," he said curtly, throwing his shirt back on. Checking his watch, he handed me my keys. "Anyway, hang in there."