Chapter 27

Chapter 27

What the fuck was happening?! What did they want? What did they want with him? Of the three people, it was the woman with natural red hair and freckles that pulled Jamie out by the front of his shirt. Her slim figure and arms offered no evidence of upper-body strength, but she clearly possessed it! Fuck! She easily forced him to his knees. The other woman stepped behind him, pulled his arms back, and began binding his wrists with thick rope!

"Jamie!" I scrambled into the driver's seat.

"Everything is fine," he said, eyes flashing in warning at me.

"No—"

"Jos!" He hissed more sternly. "Don't move. Everything is fine."

Kneeling in the driver's seat, I just wanted to jump out of this truck. I didn't care how scared I was. I wanted to do something! But that look, that sternness, made me freeze. As if it was imperative for me to listen and allow this to happen. Yes, allow was the proper word here.

Watching in horror, I was stunned at Jamie. For some fucking reason, he was letting this happen. He just knelt there! He wasn't fighting back, struggling, defending himself, anything. It was like he knew his place – as did the others – and his firm eyes tried putting me in my place too.

Standing by idly, the man and red-headed woman took note of me. "Ooh. Jamie's got a new friend," the man said, clicking his tongue.

"Look at those colors," said the younger woman tying his wrists, eyes tracing me.

"Bet she's causing a stir around here," he smirked.

The woman with red hair didn't comment. She looked me over critically for a long moment, as if assessing my value. Trust me, I was assessing the shit out of them too, but more out of panic. The three of them were all unnaturally tall. They were all obviously strong enough for Jamie to not bother fighting. From their words, they also must be able to sense me or see my aura.

Oh god. I was frozen, horrified, confused, and now even more scared. With no other context, my first guess was they were demons. They had to be, right? However, they didn't seem to have much interest in me. Well, not enough interest to want me dead like the other demons. They were more focused on Jamie.

The man grabbed a pillowcase, and pulled it over Jamie's head. It caused him to let out a sharp sigh. "Jos, don't worry, don't freak out, I—"

The red-head walked up and hooked her fist nonchalantly into his face. "Shut up."

Jamie stifled a groan, but a spot of blood seeped through the fabric. Yes, blood. Her simple movement had that much of an impact! My stomach curled. This was not good. What could I do? How can I stop this from happening?! I didn't know what was going on, I had zero context, so how the fuck was I suppose to judge something so crazy – and apparently what was not crazy to all of them?! Truly, it was such an unnatural sight. None of them, including Jamie, were acting like this was a huge deal!

The two of them climbed back into the truck, leaving the third to tend to him. The woman tightened the pillowcase, used it to haul Jamie to his feet, and steered him towards the open truck door. Fuck, they were going to take him!

"No," I shouted, jumping out and grabbing Jamie's arm. "No! Let him go!"

The younger brunette woman ripped Jamie away from my grasp. Then— Ahh! Fuck! God, that fucking hurt! My face felt whipped! A sting ran erupted against my cheek, triggering a painful pulse through my skull. It happened so fast! I didn't even realize what happened until I stumbled far back with a yelp. This bitch just backhanded me!