Chapter 10

Chapter 10

After we headed back to Bellport, Liz showed me our town's bay and marina. Sounded like nothing special, but it was pretty impressive to me.

A small canal cut into the land from the ocean, curving around through the hilly town until it ended in a bay of calmer waters. The portion of the bay Liz took me to was pretty popular. Against the steep hillside, there was more than just docks and boats. The marina actually was attached to a boardwalk that followed the curve of the shore. There were a few trinket shops, an ice cream parlor, the marina store office, and a few restaurants along the wood walkway that faced the docks and the bay. Next time I see Jamie, I was going to give him shit for not showing me this place first. He planned on showing me a fucking junk yard first over this!

Seeing how jazzed I was over this small area seemed to make Liz's day. She was proud to be able to make me happy. How could I not be though? Yes, this sounds cheesy and shit, but today allowed us to be more open, more fun, more carefree with each other. It went beyond our usual basic conversations too. By the time we stopped into a pizzeria along the boardwalk, we were entering ex-boyfriend territory.

"When did you guys break up? How long ago was this?" I asked with a laugh,

"Last fall. I only dated him for three months," she said, taking a delicate bite of her pizza.

"Wait, so this guy tried not only to move in with you, but he wanted to bring his four best friends with him? After dating for only three months?" I grinned.

"Right, isn't that insane? 'Sure people I hardly know, move right on in! Welcome home party of five.' Can you believe that?"

"David would have killed you," I said, taking another bite.

"Killed me and all five new roommates," she scoffed, gazing out the front window.

Liz and I were sitting at a high-top table next to the entrance, allowing us to gaze out the front window to the boardwalk and a few boats that docked. "You sure know how to pick them. I see that hasn't changed," I teased, referring to all of the mistakes she used to bring home. I couldn't have been no older than seven, but it's hard to forget a guy who ate dog treats to impress people (though that was kind of badass).

"I might know how to pick 'em, but at least I don't pass on them," she joked back.

"Doesn't that just mean I'm the one with standards?"

"No, that means you're a big wuss. You've only ever had one boyfriend and it was the most boring love story of all time," she laughed, tossing back a single pepperoni.

It sure was. His name was Derrick and it was 8th grade. We sat next to each other in science. We went to the movies, held hands for a week, then he broke up with me and held Stacy's hand the next week. Riveting, right?

"Yes, I've only ever had one very uninteresting boyfriend. And?"

"And why don't you put yourself out there more? Show an interest?"

"Maybe guys should be more interesting," I chuckled. It was so strange talking about this stuff with her. We never really would – or rather she never showed an interest. So hearing a note of actual curiosity in her tone, it was weird but... nice.

"You need to start showing those suckers off," she said, jutting a finger at my chest.

"Yeah?" I laughed. "The second I show a little ankle, guys become pigs."

"Jos, look beyond the sea of pigs. You're telling me no respectable man has ever just asked you out?"

"Sure, nice guys have asked me out. I've even been on a few dates before, but they never worked out. Plus, I'm selective I guess," I said, finishing my second slice of the meat-lovers we shared.