Chapter 4

Chapter 4

For how rocky the terrain was around here, the whole downtown area was a plateau. The ground was level and perched uphill, overlooking the ocean. As Jamie and I walked the sidewalk, you could hear the waves in the distance behind some of the businesses we past. So far, we saw a couple shops, a few diners, and bars. He also pointed out the post office. Or, as Jamie put it, "The grand magical place, where mail – get this – came from all over the world." Yes, he was definitely an easy-going and energetic guy.

The looming storm clouds and thunder didn't slow his enthusiasm either. "Do you like the rain? Because you might as well get used to it here," he smiled down to me as we walked.

"Don't worry, I love the rain. I imagine it can cause some serious flooding though."

"Yeah, this area doesn't see much flooding since we're uphill. Some other areas in town flood more often though. Can be worth it though just to see how gnarly the waves can get in storms. The beach gets hit the worst for sure."

"Really? You know, with all the rocks and cliffs, I was starting to wonder if there even was a beach."

"Of course there is," he laughed. "I take it you haven't been swimming yet."

"No, but holy god, I want to! I always wanted to swim in the ocean. Yesterday was the first time actually seeing it."

Under the gloomy light, he raised a surprised brow. "You want to say that again?"

"Come on, it's not that shocking. You think there is much ocean in Illinois?"

"But to never have seen it? Ever? You're more of a loser than I thought."

"Me? Who's the one going door to door looking for new friends to hang out with?" I teased.

"Wow. I'll just go and fuck myself I guess," he laughed.

It was crazy, how organic and relaxed we already were with each other. I won't lie either; I was quite flattered how interested he was in me. Maybe it was because I had plenty of questions for him too.

"So have you and your brother lived here your whole life?" I asked.

"We've moved around a bit, but we've been here in Bellport for a while. We were raised on the water, so we keep coming back to it. A small place like this is really nice and simple."

"It's definitely different, but yeah, I love how peaceful it seems here. So what kind of fun stuff is there to do around here?"

"Well, during the summer, we get a lot of tourism. It will pick up in a few weeks especially and a few festivals are coming up. Personally, I like going to bars and jumping off the cliffs into the ocean – as long as I don't do both in the same day."

"Personally, I would rather die than jump off a cliff. Not sure if there is a difference though," I laughed.

"You afraid of heights?"

"Oh, big time. When I drove into town for the first time, I was getting nervous on some of the roads. There were some very deadly-ass steep valleys we were driving next to, and let me tell you, you guys are crazy to not have guardrails," I chuckled and spoke in a more higher and innocent voice as I went into pretend-mode. "'Oh, look at that nice mountain! Oh shit, I looked away for a second and now I am driving off a cliff. Bye world.' You know?"

He shook his head and laughed. "So... what I'm hearing is that you would not like to jump off a few cliffs with me."

"Nope. Sorry."

"Well, you will be missing out. That's something me and my brother really enjoy."

I eyed him skeptically. That was something I didn't expect to hear. "I'm surprised your brother would enjoy anything," I mumbled. "It's crazy how different you guys seem."