Chapter 24

Chapter 24

There was no point in crawling back into my shell. Why hide at home if home was no longer safe? These horrific attacks would happen anywhere. So, I was finally taking Peter's advice to just keep living life. Plus, after having a fucking demon break into my house, I think wanting to be in public and around people was understandable. It bothered me being home.

That's why I eagerly picked up a couple shifts at work. Okay, or maybe I begged to work full-time this week. You know, to 'make up for the days I called in' – which, as a bonus, made my boss Vince forgive me. Those few days of normalcy offered a nice distraction too. I was even grateful to see Madison's whore-ass. That's how you knew I was just plain desperate for anything not supernatural.

"How's it going, Madison?" I asked when I entered the back office. She just arrived too.

"I heard it's been busy, so you better be ready," she said, applying her roll-on perfume to her neck. Hopefully that honey would be enough to distract the disgusting bees out front from noticing me. Her small-framed cleavage and make-up should help too.

"I'm okay with busy."

"I hope so. Just try and remember to be nice even if people are getting on your nerves."

What is it with people giving out advice they should be taking? "I'm always nice. Until they cross a line."

"You should change where that line is," she said as we walked out towards the dining room. "This one guy last night tipped me 100 bucks all because I spent extra time at his table, talked him up, and flirted my ass off."

What an inspiration. Maybe one day I'll be lucky enough to be a material 7-year-old that ignores all my other tables. Believe it or not, she didn't bother me like usual. Peter constantly pissing me off must have raised my bullshit tolerance. Even when a few guys checked me out, it didn't anger me. Then again, I might be just grateful none tried killing me.

A few hours into my shift, I noticed a familiar girl sitting at the bar. It was Zack's girlfriend, Katie. I remembered her petite form and sweet freckled face from the party. Before shit hit the fan that night, she was super fun and it seemed like we had a lot in common. So when I was between tables, I walked behind the bar and obnoxiously waved at her like a dork. She giggled and did the same thing, nearly knocking her glass of water over. Dang. We really did have a lot in common.

Zack smiled and grabbed it before it spilled.

"Have too much to drink?" I teased.

"I wish. You would think knowing the bartender would win me a few free shots."

"Maybe if you weren't a minor, hon. Or if there weren't witnesses," Zack chuckled, glancing to the other occupied stools.

Katie's sweet eyes returned to me. "So what have you been up to lately?"

"Oh you know..." Trying not to die, learning about demons. "Not much."

"Not much? You just moved here. It's time for fun!"

"You're not having the time of your life yet?" Zack asked while making a drink.

Propping an elbow against the bar, I shrugged. "Not quite, but summer is just starting.

"You like half-off movies?" Katie asked me.

"Yeah, anything to save money. Why?"

"Well, if you aren't working late tonight, we're going to a movie if you want to come. They replay old classics every week. That's why they're so cheap."

"Um, I get out at 6:00," I said.

"That's perfect, that's when Zack gets out. You should come with us."