Chapter 25

Chapter 25

Working another busy shift helped continue that illusion of normalcy. However, my anxiety spiked when I headed home at 6:00. I still didn't feel good going home. But I needed to get over it. I couldn't continue living in fear. I couldn't just avoid or ignore my new reality anymore.

Especially when that reality knocked on my door.

Clad in pajamas, I had been settled into the couch for about two hours now. That's where I was, watching a crime show, when someone knocked on the front door. My heart flipped; I sat up at a pathetically fast rate. My eyes darted to the clock. It was 9:30, I wasn't expecting anyone, so what the fuck? Who was it?

I forced myself to get a grip. Jesus, I needed to stop being so paranoid. I highly doubted a demon would be civil enough to knock. So, I had two solid guesses: it was probably either Peter or Jamie.

Four louder and more impatient knocks echoed in the air. Well, that narrowed my two guesses down to one. Sure enough, when I peeked out the bay window, Peter was facing the door. Wonderful. What better way to end my day than with this jackass, right?

Then, four louder and impatient knocks echoed in the air. Well, that narrowed down my two guesses. Sure enough, when I peeked out the bay window, Peter was facing the door. Stepping back, I was halfway to the door... when he obnoxiously knocked again. Because apparently, I wasn't answering fast enough!

Trust me, I wasn't taking my sweet time, but I wanted to now! Call me a bitch, but if he wanted to piss me off, two could play that game. I turned around, sat back down, and listened to his patience growing thinner. I couldn't help but smirk at the increase of volume and frequency of the knocking too.

"Josephine," he finally warned through the door. "Don't think I won't break this down."

Ugh, I knew he wasn't bluffing. Heading to the door, I opened it and said in an overly apologetic voice, "I'm so sorry, I didn't hear you knocking."

His blonde hair was arched and styled to the side, with a few thick locks escaping to brush the end of his crinkled brow. He just glared at me. Though it wasn't raining, I could see his boots were muddy – which he tracked in. Yes, he just walked right inside and past me. Which was not the first time!

"When did I ever say you could come in as you please and track mud all over my house?" I exclaimed.

"You didn't say I couldn't," he mumbled, but he did kick his boots off.

"What do you want? My sister will be home in like 45 minutes." Rolling my eyes, I turned to close the door. Then, I froze in surprise.

A man stood there, observing us in amusement. "Hello," he smiled.

He looked like an average guy in his 40s, wearing an orange graphic tee and jeans. His brown hair was short, eyes both cunning and caring. He had a slender frame, with boxy shoulders making him seem naturally tense. The man also wore rectangular-framed glasses that complimented his rounder facial structure. Where in the world did he even come from? And why the fuck was he here?

Noting my caution, Peter spoke in a gentle tone I didn't expect. "You don't have anything to worry about. This is a good friend of mine." He glanced to the man. "Come on in."

I stared daggers at Peter. He just waltzes in and then invites a stranger to do the same?! This asshole was lucky we weren't alone (and lucky his friend was so nice), otherwise I would have flipped my shit! Then again, could you really take a raging bitch seriously if she's wearing pajamas scattered with smiley faces? Probably not.

After he thoughtfully placed his shoes on the rug, he gave me a humble smile. "I know this must be scary and weird to you, but I'm here to help. I'm Hayes. It's very nice to meet you," he said, offering his hand.