Chapter 14

Chapter 14

I was serious before: I couldn't allow fear to dictate my life. That's why I didn't let that address bother me. Because when you think about it... maybe everything that happened was just a big mind game. Maybe it was all lies, tricks, and bluffs – including this address. Peter, Jamie, and now apparently Famine knew where I lived. Yet here I was, still alive and well. So even if I couldn't trust him or both Ellison brothers... I should try to not be intimidated by them. There needs to be some bite to a bark, right guys?

That mindset allowed me to have a stress-free and exciting time the next day. Jamie has talked up this stupid junkyard so many times that my hopes were high. I even tried dressing nice (for a junkyard anyway) to really lay on the pressure: with jeans, a blue camisole, and a matching belt. He exceeded my high standards though. For a junkyard... it was pretty damn fun. It was only because of Jamie though. Him and his 6 fucking cartons of eggs he carried in a plastic bag.

The junk yard was a big field of – you guessed it – junk. There was metal drums, random household stuff, iron machinery, and a few puddles of broken glass too. Moss grew on the rows and rows of old cars and car parts. Towards the back was a massive pile of tires. There had to be hundreds of tires; it loomed higher than anything else. Yet, the white store building situated near the busy road up front didn't look abandoned. Made me wonder if this was still a working business.

"You're sure this is okay?"

"Technically no. We just hopped through a cut in the fence and trespassed."

"Yeah, but I mean this is all abandoned, right?"

"Yes, don't worry, I'm telling you this place has been out of business for years."

Remember that. Out of business for years. His fucking words, everybody.

Honestly, it did seem that way. It was 3:00 in the afternoon and there was nobody around. Jamie should know too; he and his friends sometimes hang out here. I didn't understand the hype though... until we rounded the huge tire mountain.

We were suddenly in homeless paradise – and it was so cool. I never imagined being impressed by trash... but color me fucking impressed. The clutter had been pushed aside, acting almost as walls to this hang-out spot. Against the back fence was a broken and cushion-less couch and some random chairs. Next to them were tables (upside-down buckets). Some held a few empty beer bottles; one supported a broken lamp, which was just hilarious. There was even a rusty chain that was strung like garland along the back fence. It was all so silly, but so creative and fun too.

"This is awesome. Like truly kickass," I said before smirking up to where he stood next to me. "Not sure if I should be worried though. I'm starting think you're homeless."

"You think I live here, huh?"

"It would make sense. You have no job and you spend your money carelessly," I teased

"Carelessly?"

"Yeah. You bought the jumbo eggs."

"Well, a stud like me can afford the few extra cents. And for your information toots, this is my summer cottage. It's okay to admit you're just jealous."

"That's definitely it," I laughed.

Wandering into his fortress, I noticed something else. Across from the furniture was the back of the mountain of rubber – and this fort's main attraction. One tire stood out near the peak of the 30 foot-high mountain. It was nailed up-right with a make-shift target board attached to it. Which I realized was where the eggs came in.

Jamie set the cartons down on one of the bucket tables. Then, judging the target, he drew a line in the dirt with a thin metal pipe. "Here, this is a good spot for young rookies like yourself. When you're a pro, you can throw from all the way back there," he said, pointing towards the couch against the fence.