Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Any guesses as to what was on the other side of the door? I'll give you a hint: your guesses are probably wrong. The sight for sure caught me off guard. Because inside this vacant shell of bricks... was a bar.

Yes, this 'abandoned' building housed a thriving pub. One with people, loud music, and one where the windows were intact. How? That is one good fucking question.

Outside, there weren't any cars, any people, any lights or sounds coming from the busted windows. Now, it was like we stepped into a different place. There wasn't one broken window. Not only that, but the high-paned windows were mosaic and red-stained glass. And for loud it was in here... I certainly would have heard the music and voices from the outside, weather the windows were intact or not.

Most tables were occupied, including the long bar-top against the right wall. Exposed light bulbs dotted the copper-plated ceiling, but the sting lights strung behind the bar illuminated everything in a red hue. The walls were covered in strange art, personal pictures, and weird décor like metal street signs and old medieval clothing. There were several religious paintings too. Just as out of place: a pink and silver 50s-style jukebox, playing some heavy rock. Yes, this place gave off one very distinct vibe.

Among the obnoxious people, many sized me up the moment we stepped inside. I received outright stares and smirks. I wish I could have conveyed the same confidence Famine had. Standing tall, he weaved us through the tables like he owned the place. The dark and rough atmosphere forced me to feel a sense of safety in his guiding hand.

My face must have showed I was second-guessing my decision. Once we sat across from each other at a round table, he tried to reassure me. "You don't have to worry. As long as you're with me, you're safe."

"I wouldn't be safe without you?"

"Not here."

"That sure makes me feel better," I mumbled.

"Would a drink make you feel better?" Smoldering gaze in mine, he snapped his fingers. Like a command. It must have rung clear over the noise because a second later, a waitress appeared. "Tanqueray and tonic. For you, doll?"

"I'm... I'm 18."

"You don't have to be 21 to drink here."

I looked between them. Should I even bother asking why anymore? When my surroundings literally made no sense? "Um, I don't know. Amaretto sour?"

Famine seemed intrigued (either by my choice or the fact that I knew enough to have a preference). Honestly, I was just curious if she would actually deliver. Not that a drink didn't sound great either. Don't worry though, guys. I'm not stupid and not a lightweight.

Once she nodded and left, I cocked a brow. "You're a big deal in here then, huh?"

"Big deal?"

I elaborated by mimicking him, snapping my fingers with overdramatic swag.

"What? As a waitress, when someone snaps their fingers, you don't drop everything and run over to serve them?" he asked with a warm tease.

"No, I can't say I do," I smirked. I had to remember to ignore his charm. "I also can't say I've worked anywhere that serve minors. That's... not legal."

"Neither is hiding the body of a young girl."

Chest fumbling, my hands under the table gripped my legs. How did he know? Peter was adamant nobody would ever know. This happened just last night! Ugh, I shouldn't have believed that asshole, I should have known it would get back to me. If Famine blabs, I would be in serious trouble.