Blast from the Past

"Why are you here?" I quickly say trying to regain my composure and wipe the tears from my eyes. "I come here to get away for a bit still... are you okay?" Chloe asks making her way to me. "Yeah... actually no... its Emily..." I start with my voice cracking. I don't even care as I start to cry again. "Oh Beca, I'm so sorry." Chloe says dropping on the ground next to me and wrapping her arms around me.

She lets me sob into her familiar embrace and holds me tight against her. I finally was just letting it all out, everything I've been bottling up came exploding out. Chloe continues to comfort me and whisper soothing things in my ear. I just continue to break down feeling like my world is coming apart. Why is this happening? I've been trying so hard to do good but there's always a setback.

"Shhh its okay Beca. Let it out." Chloe coos. After several minutes I finally settle down. I sniffle and take a breath. "Sorry." I mutter finally releasing Chloe. She looks at me confused. "Don't ever apologize for your feelings." She responds using her sleeve to wipe the tears staining my cheeks. I give her a grateful smile. "Its nice to finally see you expressing your emotions. I remember how much you use to keep them bottled up until you exploded." Chloe says shaking her head. "Yeah, that was a bad time for me." I respond nodding.

"You know I really see a difference in you. I'm impressed to be honest." Chloe says. "I've matured a lot. I'm not that same kid. I want to be better." I respond with a shrug. "You're going to be a great parent. Your mom would be proud." Chloe tells me giving my should squeeze. I take in a slow breath as the words sink in. I needed to hear that. "Thank you Chloe, really. I needed this." I tell her sincerely. We sit there and take in the sunrise for a few more moments. "How about I drive you home? I'm sure Luke's worried about you and I don't think you want to run back home. Chloe suggests.

I accept her offer as we head to her car. Chloe puts on music as we drive back to my house. "Are you excited to start college?" Chloe asks. I shrug and look out the window. "I still don't even know if I'll be able to. I still have to pass all my classes to get accepted and earn the scholarship." I say staring out the window. "Oh stop with the doubt will you? With everything you've dealt with in life passing high school should be the easiest." Chloe teases. I look at her and can't help but to laugh. She has a point. We joke for the rest of the ride back. I was actually enjoying our time. It wasn't awkward like before, it reminds me of when we first met...
______________________________

Flashback

I stumble into the dimly lit bar and grab a seat. I needed to be drunker, and my high was fading fast. This stupid foster home sucked. Just two more months until we're free from this prison. "A shot of something strong and a beer please." I say to the bartender looking down. He narrows his eyes at me. "You look familiar. Got ID kid?" He asks. I sigh and pull out my fake and show it to him, praying he doesn't recognize me. He studies it before nodding and getting my drunks. I breath out a sigh of relief. Thank god my fake worked. I glance around the bar while I wait. I enjoy seeing the college students in various phases of stress despite it still being summer. I look in the corner and see a stunning red head reading some textbook. I turn back to the bar happy to see the bartender putting my drinks down.

"Can I also buy a drink for that girl reading?" I ask gesturing towards the beauty. He nods and starts putting some drink together. I down my shot and grimace. I quickly take a sip of my beer to wash down the taste. After he hands me the drink I walk up to the pretty girl. "Hey, you know its summer right? I think you need this." I say with a smirk setting the drink in front of her. She looks me up and down before nodding. "You're right. I could use a break. Care to join me?" The beautiful girl asks batting her eyelashes at me. Holy shit it worked.

I pull out the chair way too excited and nearly miss it when I sit. She giggles and I blush and take a sip of my drink. "So are you a freshman too?" She asks. I nod and hope she doesn't realize I'm actually in high school. "What's your major?" She asks. I shrug at her. "Music. I want to make music." I quickly say. Her stunning smile widens even more. "What about you?" I ask. She bites her lip and looks away. "I'm undecided." She says nervously. I raise my eyebrow at her. "Why do you make that seem bad? It takes balls to be undecided. You're actually taking your time to choose unlike most people. Nothing wrong with exploring your options." I say as I down my beer. She looks at me surprised.