Chapter 19

Medea woke up with a throbbing pain on her neck. If she had a mirror, she would’ve witnessed the bruises circling on her slender neck. And unfortunately, or fortunately she doesn’t have one with her now.

She is in so much pain that the only thing she wanted to do was rest all day and lessen her guard but not today. She must’ve lowered her vigilance since she did not expect Dion to do such a thing. She thought that with Dion’s inflated pride, he wouldn’t dare attack her in a moment of weakness.  

Dion, in comparison is like a volcano, in a moment of ignorance due to his inactivity, one would be unhesitant to let their gourd down, and when he is active before you know it, he bursts forth like an eruption. He might not be as large as a volcano but, he is as destructive as one.

On the contrary…in the deepest part of Medea’s consciousness, maybe just maybe she expected that Dion cares about her. They got along well, and have a few things in common, they coexist harmoniously. Why? What was wrong? Why did he do that? She…she thought that there is somewhat a possibility that they wouldn’t have to kill each other, she thought that they could go home together. Why did he try to kill me?

‘He is a dangerous man, is this what he planned all along?’

Thought Medea solemnly. Raising her hand and grabbing her hair tightly.

‘I’m such a fool. Was his kindness just an act? If it is…’

Letting go of her hair and resting her face in her palms. She muttered self-depreciatingly in despair.

“It was all an act, and the great Medea Solon naively believed it.”

And with that statement a lonesome tear escaped her eye, when she felt that warm single tear, she slapped herself harshly again and again however, the hot tears seem to only increase the more she hurt herself.

‘What’s wrong with me? Why am I crying? Is it because Dion tried to kill me? Am I just sad that I fell for his kind illusion? Or am I mad at my self for not expecting this ordeal?

Questions flooded her mind as bucket of tears pours out from her puffy eyes.
As she kept crying, she slapped herself repeatedly, she slapped herself too hard that her delicate cheeks were covered in hues of red and purple, even still she kept hurting herself.

While she was hurting herself, Dion finally arrived from gathering some herbs and hunting rabbits. Seeing that Medea was repeatedly harming herself, Dion rushed to her and quickly grabbed her hands. Surprised by her sudden odd actions and self-harm, Dion couldn’t help but raise his voice in agitation.

“WHAT’S WRONG WITH YOU?!”

When Medea looked at him, Dion suddenly felt bad as he saw how her cheeks were swelling.

“Have you gone mad?!”

He asked incredulously. Though, voice noticeably lowered than before.

Medea just stared at him blankly and kept her mouth shut.

“What’s wrong?”

Dion voice softened as he said those words. With voice as soothing as the night breeze, and as silky as the velvets woven by gods.  

But still, Medea was not enticed nor was she inclined to answer rather, she evaded his gaze and shifted away from him.

Normally, Dion would lose his patience by now, but for some reason he’s more tolerant today. Surrendering towards Medea’s obstinacy is the only thing he can do for now. Sighing in defeat, he just hugged Medea. Dion rested Medea’s chin on his shoulder, gently stroking her hair and swirling it around calming her slightly.