Chapter 20

"Lady Psyche, how are you?"

Perion asked.

Psyche is currently visiting the temple like she always does in her free time and coincidentally she and Perion met at the corridor leading to a private prayer room where she prays.

"By the way my lady, I got some information about the 'task' that you appointed me."

Perion stated with subtle joy, happy that the task is off his shoulders.

"Oh. Then let us talk inside the prayer room."

Psyche suggested.

"Although, I must say it bluntly Lady Psyche, I only gathered a less than satisfying amount of information regarding the two opposing families since it is difficult to obtain the family's confidential information."

Perion said grimly while handling her the miscellaneous information incased within an envelope. Then proceeds to explain.

"The records of Solon's are scarcer than that of the Agriche as well, I presume that the family kept it hidden securely and enciphered it as well.''

It is indeed disrespectful to meddle in affairs of others, however, recovering the bone deep cause of the hatred between the two families might help Medea in resolving their century long rivalry.

"Both families were on good terms a long time ago, until one decided to betray the other. The other got stronger and began to lessen their allies, indicating their mistrust."

Perion inhaled a sharp breath and let out a stifled exhale, still astonished and terrified that the two powerful and vicious families were once close allies.

"The only problem is, it is hard to determine which family betrayed which, since both families are on par in treachery."

Perion added. Psyche sighed since the information is not enough and the contents of the envelope undoubtedly contain lesser value.

"My lady, pardon me if I am prying too much, but why are you curious about the history between the two families?"

Perion asked inquisitively.

Psyche looked down momentarily, pensively gauging the cracks between the tiled floors. A minute passed and she opened her frowning lips, each word uttered weaved with concern.

"It is just that, Lady Medea might need the information when she returns."

Perion pinched his brows in confusion.

"But Lady Psyche, won't she know the reason since she is a Solon herself?"

". . ."

Psyche became silent. It was naïve of her. She thought by finding the information herself she can help Medea. Psyche got too caught up with the avalanche of bloodshed, shock and worry she experienced these few days that she forgot such detail. Such carelessness would have complicated things more when she gets tangled up in the two families. She ought to be more mindful in the future or things might turn out for the worst even with good intentions.

With the dumbfounded expression Psyche have, Perion asked warily.

"Should I investigate more?"

Blinking twice, an instinctive action to sweep away the self-deprecation. Psyche sharply recovered from her momentary daze. She answered dryly.

"No. There is no need Sir Perion, I'm afraid people might suspect you if you prod any further. And I have a feeling that whatever action we take it will only lead to futility."

With a somber tone Psyche has ended their conversation.

Sighing in resignation Perion excused himself.