Home [1: Last Heroes]

Marinette sat facing the Eiffel Tower on a wall at the top of the Trocadéro Gardens. Her sketchbook was placed in her lap as she looked out over the Iron Lady and considered what to create next.

She'd recently started a new series of hat designs and looking up at the steep shape and intricate details were a source of great inspiration, even if the temperature was almost below freezing.

She had a couple of hours to kill before she was expected, along with Chat Noir, at the verdict of Gabriel Agreste's retrial. The judges final verdict on whether he was excused or imprisoned for life. Her heart felt for Adrien. She knew he didn't want anything to do with the trial, just as he didn't the original, and her heart bled for her friend having to be constantly put through so much crap. She'd spoken to him the night before, letting him know she was there for him and all he had to do was give her a call and she'd be there as soon as she could.

She was sick to her stomach with worry herself, and even though Gabriel was now a known felon, and didn't have the Miraculous anywhere near him, it still drove her into a pit of worry, one where there was no ladder to help her climb back out. Chat had needed a break from the apartment, going to see some of his friends for the first time since arriving back in Paris. It had been a week, and he'd been purely devoted to her. For some reason he was waiting on her hand and foot, and it was getting pretty stifling. She wasn't an invalid, she could look after herself, but he was treating her like she was made out of glass.

Wrapping her coat tightly around her, Marinette began to move her gloved hands across the page as the design took a hold of itself and developed without any thought. Finally finishing with her trademark embroidery she placed her pencil back in its case and ultimately into her bag before studying the design once more.

"Beautiful."

"Thanks." Turning her head she came face to face with none other than Adrien Agreste, ex-crush and incredibly handsome athlete. He really was a sight for sore eyes.

"May I sit?" He asked, indicating the seat next to her. She remained staring at him, her gawked expression not the most attractive she'd ever displayed but she couldn't quite believe what she was seeing. Maybe she was too tired again and having fantasies about her best friend. She reached up and rubbed her eyes harshly, looked at him again, and then repeated the action.

"You're still there?" she asked quizzically.

"I am. Did you expect me to blow away or something?"

"But you don't live here. How can you be here?"

"Okay, let's start again." He placed his fisted hand to his mouth and coughed into it. "Hello Marinette, how are you? I've just returned to Paris and am trying to catch up with my friends. I just had coffee with Nino and you're my next stop. May I sit beside you and maybe catch up?"

She covered her mouth as she giggled, finally standing up and wrapping him in a tight hug. He was so tall, almost the size of her Kitty she guessed, and he was a lot bulkier than she remembered. His arms came around her waist (almost twice) as his head buried into her neck, her nose betraying her and taking a quick familiar inhale of his scent.

"Come sit," she moved away, sliding her hand down to his and sitting him beside her. "How have you been?"

He settled down beside her, his arm leisurely laying across the back of the bench. "I think I should be the one asking you that. How were you after Christmas?"

Mortification took over Marinette's face as she remembered back to three weeks ago and her impressive display of throwing up for an hour straight. She swore it was food poisoning but hadn't the heart to tell her husband. He'd worked so hard to put the meal together, she didn't want to be the bearer of bad news, although if that was the case why wasn't anyone else sick?