Scared of the Dark [26: Nightmares]

"I'm Adrien Agreste, here to see Marinette–" he trailed off in his introduction. What did he call her? Marinette Dupain-Cheng? Marinette Agreste? Marinette Noir? Ladybug Noir? Ladybug Agreste? Multimouse Noir? Multinoir? The list of possible combinations were endless and the more he thought about it, the more he was sure the sister probably thought he was constipated, just like the time he bought constipation back from England for Marinette...

His mind spiralled, his eyes taking themselves into some weird stare behind the woman sitting in front of the computer on Marinette's ward. She must have been the one who called him? Her expression was coated with both concern and compassion.

What had they called her on the phone? Had they named her fully on the phone? Everything was a bit of a blur...

"It's okay, my dear. We've gotten you written down here on Marinette's visitation list, and I know who you are." She dropped him a quick wink, his cheeks growing pink under the watchful eye of the sister.

He smiled gratefully at her, glad she could tell his inner turmoil and guide him in the right direction. His body was on edge, his heels bouncing up and down with nervous energy, every nerve preparing to explode and his stomach churning. Question after question ran through his head; ranging from how they were going to do this once they were face to face? To asking her whether she was going to die?

'Hi Marinette, guess what... I'm your husband. Oh, and are you dying from a weird Miraculous based disease? Because, surprise, it happened to my mother too, the one you thought we were moving in with.'

For some reason, that didn't cut it. Marinette was in the hospital. She was sick. He needed to be tactful and understanding especially if she was still angry from earlier. He knew who she was, but that didn't mean she knew him, for all he knew Adrien could walk into that room and she could send him straight away, or Adrien could walk into the room and she could punch him in the face. Well...at least they were in the hospital if she didn't take it too well and broke his nose, he could get it plastered up and be out of here in a matter of hours - win-win situation.

His stomach escalated into a turbulent concoction of fear, nausea, and, in a way, relief. This was it. After almost nine years they were finally meeting face to face for the first time, the first time every tiny detail fit together in a complex puzzle and everything could be seen. Their true selves. No, not just Adrien, and not just Marinette, not their super identities either, but the truth that lay between both persona's, the overall blend of the perfect and the imperfect.

The sister stood, walking around the desk and asked him to follow her, her eyes looking over his body and the lack of winter clothing. It was February and cold, yet here he was appearing without a coat, she was just lucky he hadn't put on his purple, gold and black glitter cat tee.

He noticed her stare and decided to address it, "I ran out of our home, I was that worried I forgot my coat." She nodded in understanding before stopping outside a door, turning to Adrien to indicate this was their stop.

"Once we knew who your wife was we placed her in a side room. I'm guessing it's not public knowledge about your marriage, Mr Agreste." He shook his head in response, it wasn't anyone's knowledge.

Wanting the woman to finish whatever spiel she was delivering, he bounced on the balls of his feet once again, desperate to just get into the damn room.

"We want to offer you complete confidentiality and privacy." She continued.

"That means a lot," he said, "we're both very grateful."

"Well, I'll leave you to it. She's on an IV drip, but she is awake, she came around about five minutes ago."

He sucked in a breath of air, and wasn't sure if it was from shock of having to face her already, or relief because she was awake. His Lady was awake, and she was waiting right through the door in front of him. He could do this...he could face her. He would just beg forgiveness and tell her he will never do anything like that again, that he was fed up of shutting her out, that it was time to let her in. To let her know everything.