Footloose- Ren McCormack X Reader- Cheer Team

Female presenting reader, some swearing and there will be a part 2 when I finally finish it. Also, this is heavily inspired by the musical but it could work for both movies too.

Your friend nudged you in the direction of Ren McCormack. He was in the same position you’d been in a few years ago, stuck in a horrible boring town that didn’t allow dancing.

Your parents had decided that in an attempt to save their marriage they were going to move away from the wonderful city of Philadelphia and live a more honest life.
It hadn’t gone very well, and your parents were still on the verge of divorce, only held together by Bomont’s religious community and ‘staying together for the children’.

“Go say hi to him,” your friend. She poked at the lunch on her tray and gave you a grin. “He’s not bad looking, might get yourself a date at the same time.”
“Like he’s going to immediately start looking for a date after he moves to a new town.”
“Maybe he’s lonely.” You gave your friend a look but she shrugged. “Worth a try.” Looking at your friend, she wiggled her eyebrow and you sighed.
“Fine, I’ll go talk to him. And I’ll send him your way if he seems like he’s into you.” That was all it was to your friend, so you might as well see if he seemed nice.

“New kid in school, huh?” you asked as you sat next to him. “Sucks to be here, I know, but you’re Ren, right?”
“Yeah, Ren,” he said with a nod. “And you are?”
“(Y/n), moved here right before they started those anti-drugs, anti-alcohol and anti-dance laws,” you said, hoping it’d make him feel a bit better about moving to Bomont. “So it was a bummer and it gets more boring than this, trust me.”

Ren just sighed.
“You know, your friend keeps staring at me,” he said. As soon as you looked, your friend looked down at her lunch and stared eating.
“Oh, Natalie, she thinks you’re kinda cute,” you said with a shrug, trying not to be too obvious that you did find him pretty hot. “She told me to go talk to you, try to make friends with the new kid. No one talked to me for a solid month.”
“Where did you come from?”
“Philadelphia before here, you?”
“A place that isn’t anything like here. God, I wish I could go back.”

“Well, you might not be able to go back, but if you ever want some company and friendship, feel free to call or drop by, I live right by the diner, it’s the house with the nice sport car that gets driven because my dad won’t fix it.”
He chuckled. “Well, I appreciate it.” The bell rang and you sighed, heading back to your friend who was not very subtly grinning at you and looking like she was about to burst.

It had been a few days since you’d talked to Ren at lunch, but last you heard he’d been given a fine for playing music too loud and managed to befriend Willard Hewitt. You hadn’t thought much of it, figuring he wasn’t interested. Or that he just wanted to wallow in his misery of moving town for a little while longer. If it was the latter, it made sense that Willard was the only one to not realise he wanted to be left alone. He was a kind boy but a bit of an idiot.

It was gym class and you, Natalie, and Ariel were trying to practice your cheerleading routine. Dancing was okay but only if it was part of the school’s cheerleading routine. How ridiculous. But you only had half of the gym and the boys had the other half, wrestling and boxing in a ring that had been set up.

“We’re one short to practice the stunts properly, why did Rusty have to be ill?”
“Well I can be a base, we just need someone to spot Ariel,” you said.
“But we don’t have anybody,” whined Natalie. You sighed and you practised some of the more regular things, cartwheels and rolls together.

“But coach, they jumped me!” Everyone stopped, including Ariel after she finished her cartwheel.
“Mister McCormack, fighting is for inside the ring only,” said Coach as she crossed her arms, looking at Ren with a harsh glare.
“Coach, it weren’t him that started it.” Willard tried to argue but was quickly quietened by the coach.
“Willard-”
“Coach, they jumped me!”
“That's enough out of you Mister McCormack, I'm suspending you from the wrestling team for the rest of class, if not indefinitely.”
“But-” Ren stopped himself and moved to sit on the bleachers at the side of the gym.