Chapter 20

"Emerald," Harry said, walking into the library. "The Duke and Duchess are about ten minutes out, you should probably come downstairs now."

"Alright, alright," I laughed, nodding as I put the book I was reading off to the side. I stood up, flattening the crinkles I made in my dress. He walked over to me, waiting for me to take his outstretched hand.

I knew he was nervous, he had given that away when he told me about the Duke and Duchess coming to visit. He never really met them as their king, but as their prince. Harry's nervous antics could be his downfall today. He was dependent on me, which I didn't mind, but his needing me could be a fault of his.

I took his large hand in mine, lacing our fingers together, and giving him a smile, silently letting him know everything would be fine. I could feel the sweat pooling in the palm of his hand. I decided it would be best not to say anything since I knew he was nervous enough. Harry needed everything to go smoothly today, and it was my job to help with that. I was to help in preventing anything from going on.

We stepped out of the front doors of the palace stepping in the half circle of palace guards, maids, and the rest of the royal family who lived here. I took my place beside Harry and Gemma. Gemma slid towards me.

"Why am I on mum duty?" 

"Let's just say she's more like you than you think," I whispered softly. "A lot like you."

"How so?"

"She really wants me to have a baby," I said. "Like more than you."

"Mum?"

"She told me and Emerald that the baby will happen," Harry said leaning over. "It's your job not to let her say anything to the Duchess."

Gemma had an amused look on her face as she looked at Harry and I. A car circled into the driveway parking in front of us. The chauffer got out and opened the door. A woman stepped out, her hair done up in a tight hair style, a gold form fitting gown fitted to her slim figure. 

"Duchess Margot," Harry greeted. "It's nice to see you."

"Likewise," she nodded, her brown eyes scanning me over as she said this.

"This is my wife, Emerald," Harry smiled, his hand resting in the small of my back. "This is Duchess Margot."

"Nice to meet you, I've heard a lot about you," I smiled at her. She pursed her lips as she nodded, her eyes scanning me up and down. I nodded awkwardly as I saw her husband retreat from the car.

"Duke Irvine," Harry smiled. "So good to see you."

"Likewise, Your Majesty," Duke Irvine smiled. "You must be Emerald. It's nice to meet you," he said holding out his hand to me. I took it with a kind smile on my lips. "Your wedding was fantastic, very different from the others I've attended."

"That's what we wanted," Harry chuckled. "The women are going to go discuss whatever it is girls talk about in the drawing room, and we'll talk in my office."

"Fantastic," the Duke said following Harry into the castle. 

I led the girls to the drawing room where the kitchen staff put out some tea for us. A large table was set with everything placed on top of it. Small finger sandwiches were paced daintily on the tray rack. 

"This looks nice," Margot said as she took a seat beside Anne. "A little cheap on the food."

"Well, Harry planned for a large dinner tonight so I thought it would be best for afternoon tea," I said as Delia, one of the maids, poured hot tea into my cup. "Something not too filling."