Chapter 22

I awoke earlier than Harry today. I still had so many things to do before the festival began this afternoon. The room was dark, and I was trying to be as quiet as I could possibly be. It was doomed from the beginning; Phoenix seemed to be fully aware that I was awake and began to whine inside of her locked cage.

"Shh," I whispered as I grabbed my dress from the chair. Phoenix let out a high-pitched yelp, continuing to whine. I groaned silently as I tried to calm her down.

"Em?" Harry asked.

"Go back to sleep," I whispered. "Phoenix noticed I was up."

"What are you doing awake?" he asked, turning over to look at the alarm clock by his side of the bed. "It's five in the morning."

"I have lots of things to do today," I said, walking over to him. "I tried to be quiet, but the dog made it impossible." 

"That's fine," he said. "Let her out, she can lay up here for a few hours."

"You sure?" I asked. He nodded, shutting his eyes again. He threw his arm over his eyes, letting out a heavy sigh as he settled back into the bed. 

Hesitantly, I walked over to the cage and opened the door leading Phoenix over to the bed. She got up there with a little assistance from me. She licked Harry's face before spinning in circles and plopping down next to him. Harry reached over and pat her with a few loud smack-like noises. 

I let out a soft laugh as I quietly gathered my clothes, making my way to the bathroom. I set my clothes on the white seat of the toilet. I reached over and turned the silver handle letting the cascade of water fall down the faucet. I glanced at myself in the mirror, my hair unruly, tangling at the ends. Small blemishes poked through my skin on the high of my cheeks. 

I slowly pulled at the soft fabric of the nightgown that hung just above the floor. I pulled it over my head and tossed it on the floor. I breathed in heavily, my chest moving up as I stared at myself in the mirror. Sometimes when I look at myself, I still see the sickly girl from back home. The sunken in eyes, ghostly pale skin, and a dead look to her eyes. That girl had nothing to live for, but this girl has so much more to her life than she thought she would ever get.

Breaking away from my thoughts, I reached my hand into the waterfall of water. Feeling the warmth, I pushed back the curtain and stepped in, throwing my head back as the water fell down my forehead allowing the warmth to spread over my skin. As I moved out of the warm water, the cold air prickled at my skin, goosebumps appearing on the surface. 

The door of the bathroom pushed open and shut once again. I pushed the curtain back, poking my head out. I saw Harry standing there, facing away from me. In the reflection on the mirror, I was able to see him rubbing his eyes with the tips of his fingers. He pushed his trousers down to the floor and rubbed his eyes once again.

"Are you joining me?"

"Hmm? Yeah," Harry mumbled. "Saves water," he mumbled again, his voice hoarse. 

I held out my hand for him to take as he stepped over the edge of the tub and stood on the slick surface. His large hands ran down my sides before wrapping around my waist and pulling me into him. His warm cheek rested against my shoulder, his lips tenderly grazing the surface. I smiled as I took both of his large hands and intertwined our fingers together. 

"It's so cold," He mumbled.

"Maybe you should step into the water," I reiterated, an amused smile on my face. 

He let out a light laugh before pushing both of us forward so we were both directly under the stream. Harry's gentle hands unlocked from mine, feeling their way down my abdomen and finally resting at the curve of my waist. He spun me towards him, my eyes instantly locking with his. His warm hands cupped my cheeks before he leaned down and molded our lips together in a sensual kiss.