Chapter 25

The next morning, I awoke to the smell of food cooking in our room. I furrowed my eyebrows at the abnormality of the situation. When Trish wakes us up, she usually retrieves Mrs. Willer after we're dressed and ready for the day. I carefully sat up on my elbows and looked to my left where Harry typically slept. There was nothing there except a mess of sheets and a blanket. Felix was curled up at the end of the bed sleeping.

"H?" I asked.

"Give me five minutes, Em! Don't get out of bed!" Harry called back. I giggled to myself and scooted up on the bed and called the cat softly. I gently nudged Felix to wake him up. He looked at me and came up to me, his body vibrating as he rubbed his side against me.

"What are you doing, H?"

"You'll see!" he said. I shook my head scratching the cat's head.

I saw Harry carefully, and slowly, back out of the kitchen. He turned around to reveal a large tray of food in his hands that he carried over to me. In one of his hands was a glass of orange juice. I smiled at him as he placed the tray on my lap, giving me a gentle kiss. He set the orange juice on the tray.

"Did you make this?" I asked gesturing to the plate.

"I did," he nodded, a proud smile on his lips. "I wanted to do something special for you. I feel like I never do, and I wanted to start on our day off. The Duke agreed to help out for a few days. Just until we know you're okay."

"I'm fine, Harry!" I said picking up my fork. "After you talked to me yesterday about what your Dad told you, I think I thought about it and you and him were right."

"Well, don't tell the Duke that," he said. "I want a few days alone with you to be completely honest. A few days of freedom."

"Okay," I giggled as he walked off. "Where are you going?"

"Grab my plate of food."

"Alright," I said as he disappeared into the kitchen.

I took this moment to look down at my plate. He cooked me eggs, toast, and some sort of meat. I think bacon. I laughed, shaking my head as I picked up the undercooked bacon. The eggs were slightly soggy as well.

"Harry?"

"Yeah?"

"Come here for a second," I said with a smiled. He walked over with a piece of toast in his hand. "I love you, but I'm not eating undercooked food."

"It's undercooked?" he asked.

"The bacon is still pink and the eggs are still slightly liquidized," I said. His head hung low. "I don't love you any less, and the gesture was sweet. Why don't you just call Mrs. Willer?"

"Because I wanted to cook for you," he said. "I'll try it again. I didn't make all of the eggs or bacon."

"Okay," I smiled. Harry took the tray from my lap and walked back into the kitchen. I got out of bed and followed him.

"Why are you out of bed?" he asked as he scraped my plate.

"No reason."

"See, if I didn't know you, I would say you were being casual, but I have lived with you for a while now. I can see that you want to make sure I do it right," he said. I laughed giving him a sheepish smile. "I'm that good."

"That you are, Mr. Man," I said. "You going to cook for me or what?"

"Of course," he nodded grabbing the pan and setting it back on the hot stove.