.27

the next day, at school i had to dress up since it was another game day. i find it ridiculous and annoying since it's literally like 40 degrees outside.
i wore a maroon skirt that i borrowed from millie, a black top with a flannel that matched the skirt.
my councilor was making me nervous all day.
i didn't have studyhall until 7th period, which was was near the end of the day.
it was math, 6th period of the day. noah was watching me anxiously watch the clock in the corner of the room for the bell to ring.
once the bell rang, i started to get up and nervously packed my things back.
noah walked next to me as i tried to squeeze through the crowd of people.
-"i'm sure it's nothing, good luck." he whispered to me, patting my shoulder as i was to worried to give him a prompt reply, so i nodded before throwing my things in my locker and practically jogging to her office.
when i got to the front of the school near the principals office, i tried opening her door but it was locked.
-"hello? mrs sydney?" i knocked, getting no answer.
i cursed under my breath when i realized she wasn't in there because all her lights were off.
did she seriously forget?
i've been worried about it all day.
and with that nightmare i had last night.
it's been throwing me on edge.
-"so sorry! i was in a meeting." she apologized from behind me, walking up to unlock the door.

we sat down in her office that was pretty big and spacious. i felt like i could breathe in there unlike most places from being so nervous.
-"i just kind of want to talk to you about your applications. i mean, a bunch of your classmates have already gotten in. some are still waiting on letters, you haven't even looked at any." she sighed, scrolling through something on her computer.
-"yeah, i guess i've just been busy.."
-"i can see that. with that incident on halloween night, you've been surprisingly well in school. you went from doing poorly with grades, now your gpa is a 3.3." she stated, looking at me.
-"yeah, im trying." i chuckled awkwardly.
-"you're doing well, good job." she smiled at me.
i started feeling relief in this moment, at least she wasn't telling me i couldnt get in.
-"but we need to talk about tuition." she let out, abruptly.
-"tuition?" i hesitated, chuckling nervously.
-"your entire family has just been sent away from you, it's come to my understanding you've been living with mitchell and karine schnapp and your fellow classmates.. chloe and noah schnapp." she read off of her computer.
-"uh, yeah.." i replied, noticing she was getting off track.
-"how's that been?" she asked.
-"fine- what about tuition?" i switched back the subject we were on earlier.
she sighed, looking like she was disappointed.
-"it says here that you want to go to the university of chicago." she smiled.
-"yep.."
-"the tuition is over 60 grand.. do you know if your parents ever kept a trust for you or anything?"
-"no.. my parents lost all their money. even if they did they probably used it- why are we talking about this?" i asked, getting skeptical.
-"because y/n, even with your grades.. i don't think you could afford to get into a college like that. i mean, i know you don't want to hear this.. but a community college is more realistic." she stated.
i suddenly felt like the walls were closing in on me and i forgot how to breathe.
i thought wrong.
i cant get into college.
i don't have the money..
-"i guess i never thought about the money." i mumbled, looking down.
-"i mean, you're a star at basketball. recruiters come near the middle of the season i hear. right now, we just have to hope for the best. i just wanted to speak to you about it so you can make your decision quicker and easier." she explained.
-"okay.. thanks." i mumbled, suddenly feeling sick.
i rushed out of the room with my backpack over my back, practically running to my locker.
class was still going on, for at least another 15 minutes.
i shoved my bag into my locker and stood there for a moment, feeling overwhelmed in my thoughts.

she's right.
basketball is my one chance.
i don't get good enough grades for a scholarship.
they'd only let me in for basketball.
but do i even want to play for college?
i'd have no choice.
where else would i get the money?
60 grand for a school?
community college is still thousands of dollars..
i have nothing in my name.
nothing but like $120 i got from savings while babysitting, which i quit after halloween.
i felt tears rolling down my eyes as i stood there, breathing heavily.
i wanted to break down crying, but i knew once i started i wouldn't stop.
i had a game today, i can't let this affect my play.
after standing there, silently crying and trying to pull myself together, i heard the bell ringing.
i wiped my face, quickly putting it together before people started walking out of classes and to their lockers.
i felt a hand on my back, making me turn around.
-"how did it go?" sadie asked, but seeing the redness under my eyes.
-"hey, what happened?" millie asked, they could always tell when i was upset.
-"i cant get into college because im too poor." i sighed, crossing my arms and leaning my back towards them.
they both hugged me as i continued holding tears back.
-"we will figure this out y/n, you're going to college." she assured me, making me smile a bit.
-"i don't know if i can. i might just give it up, there's no reason to go anyway." i disappointedly mumbled.
i noticed noah down the hall, walking towards us.
-"shit, don't tell noah. he's coming!" i whispered.
-"what?"
-"sh!!" i mumbled as he walked up.
-"hey, how'd it go?" he asked, looking confused from the sad looks on millie and sadie's face but happiness on mine.
-"fine! she just talked to me about the application process and discussed decisions with me." i explained.
i shut my locker, saying bye to the girls before walking to class with noah.
-"do you know where you're going yet?" he asked, wrapping his arm around me.
-"no, not yet. im still deciding. has your email for upenn came back yet?" i asked.
-"no, any day now." he sighed, kissing my forehead.