Chapter 28

Conversation with Kalli and Newt

As soon as lain left the hut newt spoke up.

" Ya know I can see the plates of food under your bed." Newt said walking over to sit on her bed.

"No you can't" Kalli quickly said getting up and pushing them under father.

"Looks like you barley took a bite of them. Keep in mind if I see this again, I will force feed ya- good that?"

"Good that" she whispered in response.

"You know Kalli, the only reason I was mad was because I really do care about you, your like a little sister to me."

She didn't respond

" I've always imagined having a sister, before my memories where swiped."

The girl stared into newts eyes, but not with rage but sympathy. She would love to think she has a brother. One who would drive her mad mad but love him to the moon and to Saturn because of it.

"Don't worry I won't tell anyone about the food, frypans food has been awful lately."

—————-—————-—————-—————-——

To be completely honest Kalli wanted lain and newt to leave. She wanted to be alone with her thoughts. Kalli absolutely refused to change into Mhinos clothes, she hated him right? She wouldn't be caught dead waring his clothes. She stuffed the clothes right under the bed with the uneaten food.

By the time lunch rolled around she could hear foot steps coming to the hut. She quickly got into the bed and pulled the covers up to her shoulders so whoever is was couldn't see she hadn't gotten changed. Kalli closed her eyes pretending to be asleep, hoping whoever is was would go away.

" Oh you sleepy head it's time for lunch" she knew that voice anywhere- lain.

She heard lain put a tray- most likely of food, down on the dresser.

" oh alright I'll let you sleep, but I'm dying to see you in Mhinos clothes, even tho you probably hate him. I wouldn't blame you, I would too. Who am I kidding you can't hear me, or maybe you can, maybe your not sleeping. But you would have smiled by now and you haven't even shown any sign of being awake. But if you are your real good. Too good. Here I am talking to myself. I'm still going, omg shut up me. How am I still going. I'm going to stop now, i think. Am I talking out loud now or just in my head.-"

The rest of her self to self chat was cut of by lain leaving the hut.

Kalli quickly got up and stuffed the food under her bed and actually went to sleep this time.

By the time she woke up this time there was a new plate on her dresser. No one was in the hut it was dead silent. The girl checked her watch to see the doors would be closing in 17 minutes.
Kalli grabbed her daggers, a bottle of water and pulled her hair back.

She exited the hut and darted to the walls. She slowly made her way to the opening gap, but this route would make sure she wasn't seen by any of these other Gladers.

Newt, Mhino, and Lain sat around the far table. Keeping there talking to a whisper.
"Mhino when are you going to make things right with Kal" asked Newt a little two loud.

" Newt sweetie, your right about up here," Mhino said putting his hand above his head,"I'm going to need you to bring your voice to about here," Mhino brought his hand down to where you almost couldn't see it," okay sweet heart?" He joked.

Newt rolled his eyes " just answer the question mate"

"I don't know man, she hates me right now"

"I suggest you do so now, and make sure she ate her food would ya" Newt pushed Mhino up and out of his seat while saying this.

" what are you talking about her not eating" lain asked.

————————————————————————-

Mhino walked to the med hut considering if he should give her more time or make things right, right now. He decided he'd do it now.

Mhino placed his hand on the door knob and slowly opened the door.

When he entered the room no one was to be found but a full tray of food. Mhino ran out of the hut and frantically looked around for the girl he loved.

He finally spotted her and as she started running and sprinting to the doors. The keeper of runners sprinted after her and entered the maze as she was about to turn he yelled "Kalli wait please"

She turned around knowing that voice all to well.
A part of her wanted to hear what he had to say.

Mhino walked up to her.

"Look I'm really sorry"

"Mhino-" she started.

"No, please please let me explain. I love you, I really really do." Kalli stared in disbelief.

"When I read that letter newt passed me I laughed not because of the thought of being with you, but because I knew I could never gather enough balls to ask you out."

"And I want to be here for you, I want to help you get through this low part of your life, I want to watch you heal and see your face light up the way it used to again." The girl couldn't believe this was happening, he wanted to help her through this. He wanted to be by her side.

"Would you do me the honor, actually you know what it would be your honor- I mean look at this," he said gesturing to himself, "never mind would you do me the honor of being my partner in crime, my girlfriend"

Kalli slowly shook her head and and gave him a big tight hug. Mhino picked her up remembering they where still in the maze. He carried her out of the maze and into the hut, as she was still hugging him tightly.

Lain wasn't in the hut she must have an over night shift in the med hut.

Mhino places kalli down on her bed.

"I'll be right back" he told her

Mhino ran to the med hut looking everywhere for the clothes he was told to give her. Lain was there and helped him find them under the bed with trays upon trays of uneaten food.

Both lain and Mhino where extremely worried and disappointed in Kalli.

"I see you guys made up" lain said before her and Mhino parted ways.

"Yeah I guess we did" Mhino said grabbing the food from tonight's dinner off the dresser.

"Night lain"

" Night sass queen"

When Mhino entered Kalli's hut he found her sitting on her bed picking at her nails.

"I brought fresh clothes and food"

Mhino handed Kalli his clothes and set the food down

" Some privacy" Kalli said hinting at Mhino to not watch.

" but boreeeddd and we don't have a tv to watch any good shows on, I'm sure yours would be better though"

" shut up Mhino and turn around"

"Yes ma'am" he responded and turned around still saluting her.

Once she was changed and Mhino made sure she ate every bite of food on the plate,Mhino had gotten up to leave.

"Where are you going" Kalli questioned, obviously nervous but trying to make a bold move.

" So my little princess wants me to stay?" I think I've settled on princess"

Mhino climbed into bed with her and got under the sheets. He pulled her tightly against him and she laid her head on his chest.

"Night Mhino" she whispered to him. She didn't get a response, but instead he lifted her chin with his finger and placed a gentle kiss on her lips.

Butterflies swarmed in her stomach and and her heart skipped a beat. She had never felt like this before. He placed a kiss in her cheek than forehead and whispered good night back.

She laid her head back on his chest and tried to even her breathing with his but almost died in the process- scratch that did die in the process.

"I love you princess" he whispered.

"I- I -"