chapter one

Y/N:
Two more exams and I'll be finished with my second year of college. I'm not going to lie, this year - especially this semester - has been hard. Not just with trying to keep up in college, but also trying to balance work and finding time for MJ, and myself.

The workload is so heavy and it got to the point where I was considering dropping out. But, I didn't and I'm glad I didn't because I think I would've regretted it.

I just can't wait until this year is done though. I haven't been home since New Years and it's now May. I miss home. I miss mom and Maria, and of course Otis.

Thankfully mom has come up to Boston a few times to visit, and we still either call or FaceTime basically every night which definitely helps me feel less homesick.

Mom and Maria ended up having the most beautiful wedding the summer after I graduated high school. It was quite small, only family and close friends were invited.
They held off on their honeymoon until I'd moved into college because they both wanted to be their to help me get settled.

Mom even ended up staying an extra week in the hotel across the street from campus because I wasn't ready for her to leave yet, but eventually she had to go back home and pack for Spain.

Not long after they got back, Maria quit her job as a police officer and started working at this place called s.h.i.e.l.d. Mom still teaches at the school, but only part-time now.

MJ and I are still living together. We had to get an apartment instead of a dorm this year because of a housing shortage, but if I'm honest I much prefer living in the apartment anyway. There's so much more room and we have our own kitchen and living room which is so much better than sharing with people and strangers we don't necessarily like.

Our apartment is only a ten minute walk from campus and the rent is surprisingly quite cheap which is great considering we both get or got payed minimum wage.

I did have a job at one of the Starbucks' on campus, but got fired only a few weeks ago because I was so busy with the copious amounts of studying I had, I was never available for my shifts. Luckily, I had enough to pay the last month of rent otherwise I'd be screwed.
I mean, mom would probably offer to pay it but I didn't want to have to ask her.

I'm not going to lie, mine and MJ's relationship has taken a bit of a toll for the worse. These past couple of months the two of us have barely seen each other, despite the fact we live together. We've both been super stressed because of exams and have literally just not had time for each other.

In those rare times that we are home at the same time, MJ has been really stand-off ish and unless I make conversation, she'll barely make the effort to ask how my day was.
Sometimes she won't come back to the apartment until three o'clock in the morning and she always says that she was just studying, and I want to be believe her, but I can't help but think of the worst.

~

I've just finished with my classes for the week and am heading back to the apartment. I know that MJ had her last exam this morning so I'm hoping that she's already there.

As I walk in I can hear the shower water running. I throw my bad onto the kitchen counter and knock on the bathroom door and open it slightly.

"Hey, how was your exam?" I ask. "Uh hey, it was good thanks. I'm glad I'm done now," She admits, pulling the shower curtain open just enough so that I can see her face. "That's good," I smile lightly.

"Can I join you?"
"I was just about to get out, sorry," She stated. "All good," I nod and she smiles apologetically.

I closed the door behind me and unpacked my bag before taking my laptop into our bedroom to study.