chapter twenty-five

Three weeks later

Y/N:
Kate called me this morning and mentioned that she was only working a half day and asked if I wanted to hang this afternoon. The two of us have seen a lot of each other lately, although I haven't really left my bed the last two days - not that I've felt depressed, but more the fact that I just haven't had anything to do - so I figured it would be good for me to get out of the house.

It's a Friday and I only had two shifts at work this week so I've been a bit bored. Maria has obviously had work and Mom has had a few things she's needed to do at the school so it's been a very very quiet week.

Truthfully though, I've needed to just not do anything or go anywhere for a couple days.

I'm meeting Kate at the bottom of her work building and still have about twenty minutes to kill, so I decided to stop in and get coffee and donuts from a place in Brooklyn.
It was really quiet inside, only a few workers and a few customers. One of the workers being MJ.

She hasn't seen me come in and I hesitated on whether or not I should leave, but I decided against it.

For the first time, it doesn't hurt. It doesn't hurt hearing her name, seeing her face or being in the same room as her.
MJ was a huge part of my life and I am forever grateful for her, I wouldn't change anything. I know that I truly loved MJ and I think deep down a part of me will always love her, but I know that I'm not in-love with her anymore.

"Hey," I smiled slightly as I approached the counter. "Oh, hi," She says. "You work here?" I question as if it's not already obvious. "Yeah. Just for the summer," She shrugs.

"How are you doing?" She questions as she begins on making the coffee for the person who'd just ordered. "I'm-I'm good," I state. For the first time in a while I actually mean it. "How are you?"
"I'm good," She smiles softly.

Someone else takes my order whilst MJ finishes up with the previous one.

"Are you going back to MIT?" MJ questions. I haven't made a decision yet, but I'm pretty certain that I will go back. I think a lot of the doubt about college came from the fact that it reminds me a lot of MJ and I didn't want to be reminded of how much it hurt, but now that I'm standing in front of her knowing that it doesn't hurt anymore I'm a lot more inclined to want to go.

"Uh, yeah I think I am," I answer, taking the two donuts from her hands. "You?"
"Yeah, I'm just trying to find an apartment," She states and I nod.

Once the coffees are made MJ looks at me with a hopeful smile. "Do you think we could be friends again? I mean when you're ready," She asks awkwardly. "Yeah, I think we can," I admit honestly.

"Okay," Her smile widens. "I'll see you around then."
"Yeah, see you," I smile lightly before making my way out and down the street to Kate's work.

I only end up waiting five minutes before she comes out.

"Hi, sorry I took so long. People don't know what common sense is," She says as she frantically searches through her bag. I laugh. "No, it's okay. I bought you coffee, I thought you'd need it."
"Oh, thank you. How much do I owe you?" She questions. "A whole zero cents," I chuckle. She finally finds her phone in her bag and looks at me, tilting her head slightly. "It's my treat, honestly," I speak genuinely, passing her a donut too. "Thank you Y/N," She smiles, taking the donut from me.

Her fingertips brush over mine slightly as she does so, causing a rush of nervousness to spike through my entire body.

I think she noticed my cheeks go red slightly because her lips curled into a small smirk before she started walking. I followed after her and we made our way through the city.

____________
A/N: heyy
sorry that this chapter is so shorttt I have a very bad attention span today

I relapsed on the weekend and forgot I have to go get a blood test tomorrow and I'm literally going to cry my anxiety is so bad somebody send help