chapter fourteen

Y/N:
After I'd clocked out of work, I went to the back to use the bathroom quickly before going to leave.
As I was searching through my tote bag for my phone, I felt someone's grip around my wrist. Immediately I flinch at the contact before looking up to see that it was just one my co-worker, Amelia.

Her face fell into a frown after seeing me flinch. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you. Are you okay?" She questions, her eyebrows knitting together. "Yeah, I'm okay," I smile softly. "Okay," She nods before continuing. "I just wanted to warn you about that Levi guy that was talking to you earlier. He's not a good person, trust me. My best friend used to date him and I know he seems nice but once you get to know him he's an asshole. I mean, she had to get a restraining order on him," Amelia explains with a long blink.

"Oh uh, thank you," I speak hesitantly.
I wasn't going to go out with him anyway, but it was nice of her to let me know.

"No worries," She smiles gently. "It was nice meeting you today," She adds. "Yeah, you too," I smile back.

I leave the store and begin to walk home. I know that Maria is at work today and mom had to go into the school for a teacher meeting or something like that early this morning, but I'm hoping that she's already home.

When I opened the front door, Otis was jumping up on me so I picked him up to make sure that he didn't try to run out and I drop my bag on the floor.

"Hi sweetheart, how was work?" Mom asks, walking out of the kitchen. "It was pretty good. It's super busy at that time of day but I enjoyed it," I admit. "That's good," She smiles softly as she places a kiss on my forehead. "How was the school thing?" I question, flopping down onto the couch dramatically. Mom chuckles. "It was boring," She admits, sitting down next to me.

I shuffle closer to her so that I can rest my head on her lap. "I'm so proud of you honey," She speaks out of the blue, running her fingers through my hair. "Why?" I chuckle. Her face falls into a frown and she tilts her head to look down at me. "What do you mean why?" She questions and I shrug.

"There's so many reasons I'm proud of you. The list literally goes on forever. But, I'm proud of the kind hearted beautiful young woman you are. I'm proud of you for doing the best you can. And I'm so proud that I get to call you my daughter."

I adjust my head so that I'm looking up at her with a wide smile. "I love you, mama," I say. "I love you too," She leans down and kisses my forehead.

"So, tell me about work," She decides. "Um well, some guy hit on me and asked for my number," I laugh. "What did you say?" She questions. "I said no, and I'm glad I did. Amelia - she's was making the coffee with me today - said that her best friend used to date him and apparently she got a restraining order put in place. So yeah, I think I dodged a bullet there," I explain with a chuckle.
"Yeah, I think you did," Mom laughs.

"But then at the end of my shift, Kate came in. Apparently she's a regular there. We decided that we're going to catch up sometime but I made it clear that it wasn't going to be a date and it was just as friends."
"That's great," She smiles genuinely.

The room falls into a comfortable silence as I lay on my side and mom continues to run her fingers through my hair.

"Do you want to watch Gilmore Girls?" I suggest. "Sure, why not," She says so I reach for the remote in front of me and turn on the tv.

"Do you remember before I adopted you, we used to say to each other that we wish we could have a relationship like Lorelei and Rory?" Mom brings up. "I do," I smile. "Except now we're better than them because we never fight," I add and we both giggle.

"I know I've said it before, but thank you for saving me. I don't think I'd still be here if it wasn't for you, mama," I admit.

Her eyes becoming slightly glassy and her lips fall into a small frown. "You don't need to thank me, honey. Adopting you was the best thing that's ever happened to me," She smiles softly.

The rest of our day was pretty unproductive. We just sat watching tv for the most of it, until Maria got home and we decided to go out for dinner.

the next day

This morning has been even busier at work than yesterday.

Levi came in again, unfortunately just before closing which meant he stayed until I finished.

Throughout the last twenty minutes he kept trying to get me to talk to him and I tried to ignore him as best I could without being rude.
After hearing what Amelia told me yesterday, I feel like I need to be cautious around him. I mean, nobody just puts a restraining order on someone for the sake of it.

I noticed Levi kept looking at me and unlike yesterday, today it made me uncomfortable. I think Amelia picked up on it because she asked if I was okay at least three times.

When it came time to finish, I clocked off and asked Amelia if she could make sure Levi didn't follow me out. Of course she agreed.

As I walked out the door, I realised that Kate didn't come in today which made me a little disappointed but I guess I can just message her and we can organise something over the phone.

I began walking home and as I reached into my bag for my phone to message Kate, I started to panic thinking that I'd lost it so I stopped just outside the coffee shop and searched my bag for it.

Once I finally found it I went to start walking again, but accidentally bumped into someone.

I look up from the ground and see Levi standing in front of me with a smug look on his face. I tried to move to the side and walk off but he grab me by the wrist, making me jump and my heart start racing.

"You were rude to me today," He speaks. "I wasn't being rude, I was working," I deadpan. "Hm no, you were being rude. You wouldn't even look at me."
"Yeah well, you were looking at me too much and I didn't appreciate."

"Well I thought it was bad customer service," He smirks, his grip on me tightening. "They don't pay me to look at you or talk to you Levi, they pay me to make you coffee which I did, so let me go," I groan, trying to take his hand off of me.

Suddenly I'm being pushed back into an alleyway. Thankfully I had my phone in my hand, so I quickly did my password and tried to call someone.

I don't know who I called, I couldn't really see but I just pressed a random name in my contacts and before they could answer, Levi snatched the phone out of my hand and hung up before throwing it on the ground.

"You're going to give me what I want."

Those words sent a flood of memories about my stepdad and a paralysing fear rushes through my body and I suddenly feel unable to move.

___________
A/N: sorry about the cliffhanger 🙃 but I hope you enjoyed!

sending you lots and love and I hope you have a lovely day/night <3 imma go party nowww byeee