chapter thirty-one

Thursday

Y/N:
What felt like the longest, most painful shift of my life finally started to look up the moment I saw Kate walk through the door.

Earlier, I set aside a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie for her because I knew they were her favourite and they were selling quickly this morning.

As she approached the counter I couldn't help the smile that curled upon my mouth. That drunken-butterflies-in-the-stomach feeling arises every single time I see her.

"Hey," she says with a smile. "Hi, just your usual?" I ask, my smile not faltering. She nods.
I walk over to the coffee machine and start on making her latte whilst Amelia takes over the till.

When I'm done, I grab a marker and draw a little heart on the lid, pick up her chocolate chip cookie and hand it over to her.

"I didn't order this?" She says, taking the cookie from me. "I know," I shrug, "it's on the house."

Her cheeks blush a light pink as she smiles. "Thank you, Y/N," she says. "You're welcome," I smile sheepishly. "I'll see you tomorrow?" She checks. I nod, "I'll pick you up at seven."
"Okay. I hope you have a good day," she tells me. "You too," I say.

My eyes follow Kate as I watch her walk out the door before I clock out. Amelia does the same and follows me around the back as we take off our aprons.

"Okay, serious question," she speaks up. I sit down on the bench and nod. "Have you and Kate slept together yet?" She quirks an eyebrow. "What?" I laugh, "No."
"Really? I just thought...well there's so much chemistry and tension between you two I just figured you'd done it already," she shrugs.

I throw my head back and whine. "No, we haven't. I'm not ready for that yet, and besides we've barely even been on a date," I tell her. "Okay. But when you do make sure to tell me if it's good," she laughs. I shake my head and narrow my eyes at her. "You are gross and have no respect for privacy, do you?"
"Nope," she smirks.

"Anyways, an actual serious question this time. Charlie and I found a place to rent in Boston and it's got a spare room if you want it?" She offers. "Really?" I ask. "Yeah," she chuckles lightly, "It's about a thirty minute drive from MIT, but it's a really nice place and you'll get your own bathroom and everything."

"That would be amazing, thank you!" I exclaim, jumping up and giving her a hug. "Of course," she giggles. "How much is it?"
"Don't worry about, Charlie's got it covered. He's like rich or something, I don't know," she laughs.

I look at her trying to find anything in her expression that shows me she's lying, but she seems dead serious.

"That's a joke, right? Amelia, I'm paying for my room," I order. "No, I'm serious. Put your money towards something more important. Like if you and Kate want to buy a house one day or have kids," she says casually.

"Wow, you're like a hundred steps ahead of me," I giggle, "and I still can't tell if you're trying to get a rise out of me?"
"Y/N, I promise you I'm not. Charlie offered. I'm not even paying."

"No strings attached?" I ask, still in shock. "No strings attached."

"Geez okay, thank you," I say. "It's all good," she smiles.

~

"Motherrr?" I sing as I walk through the front door. "Yes daughter?" She giggles. "Guess what?"
"What?"

"So, Amelia told me today that her and Charlie found a place in Boston and offered me the spare room for free!" I inform her excitedly. "For free?" Her eyebrows knit together. "Uh huh," I nod. "You sure they're not like serial killers or anything?" She asks hesitantly. "I'm sure," I laugh, "apparently Charlie has a lot of money."
She chuckles, "okay. That works out well then."

"How was work?" She questions as I throw myself onto the couch next to her. "So boring and busy," I sigh. "Did Kate come in?" She asks with a smirk. "Yesss, she did," I smile. "And?"
"And nothing," I laugh, "I served her coffee."
"Did you put a little heart on her cup?" She speaks teasingly. I look away from her and feel my face heat up. Mom laughs, tickling my stomach. "You're cute."
"Shut up," I groan.

"Can we have cuddles?" I ask quietly. "Absolutely. Come here," she opens her arms to me. I smile and crawl to sit between her legs as her arms wrap around me tightly.

"This afternoon, I was thinking that if you were up for it we could go shopping to get you something to wear for your date tomorrow?" She suggests. I smile and nod, "Okay. I want cuddles for a couple more hours first."

She giggles and kisses the top of my head, "of course."

___________
A/N: a bug flew into my eye today...
ANYWAYS, I have the rest of this book planned out but i have a bit of writers block at the moment so bare with me aha.

I hope you all have a lovely day/night! Sending so much love ❤️‍🩹