chapter twenty-one

Y/N:
I bang my head against the steering wheel a few times as I fake a cry before sighing and picking up the coffees and walking inside.

I balance the cup tray in one arm as I unlock the door. I shut it behind me with my foot and smile when I'm met with mom and Maria sitting over on the couch. "Hi, I bought coffee," I say, walking over to them. "Hi sweetheart, thank you," Mom smiles. "Thank you, hon," Maria says, talking a cup from the tray.

"How was your time with Kate?" Mom asks. "It was good," I tell her. "Just good?" She quirks an eyebrow. I shrug, not really knowing how to answer. "She didn't try to kiss you?" She chuckles. I roll my eyes and smile. "No Mom, she didn't try to kiss me. I already told her that we were only going to be friends."
"I know—"

"Anyways, Maria. How was your day?" I change the subject. Mom chuckles slightly before taking a drink of her coffee. "It was good thank you," She giggles as I sit down next to her.

"Hey so our wedding anniversary is coming up in a few weeks and we were thinking of going upstate for a weekend. Is that okay? Will you be okay here on your own?" Mom informs me. "Of course," I chuckle. "You don't have to ask me."

"Are you sure you'll be okay by yourself for a couple nights?" She questions. "I'll be fine. If I get bored, I'll call Yelena and she can come hang with me," I assure her. A smile smile curls on her lips. "Okay."

The three of us talked for another ten minutes before mom had to go get started on some work for when she goes back to teaching and I sat on the couch cuddled up to Maria in silence as she drew circles on my back with her fingers.

"Maria?" I mumble hesitantly. "Yeah?" She smiles gently. "Thank you for everything."
"Honey, you don't need to thank me for anything," She speaks softly, rubbing her hand assuring up and down my arm. "I do though. I wouldn't be where I am today without you," I say sheepishly.

She leans down slightly and kisses the top of my head. "I love you Y/N," She smiles softly. "I love you too."

"Oh, I have a new burger place that we need to go to. Honestly the best burger I've had in my entire life," I mention enthusiastically. She chuckles. "Okay, we go go next weekend if you'd like?"
"Yay," I smile childishly.

-Monday-

"Shit, shit, shit," I groan as I pick up my phone to see that it's seven am. I have work in thirty minutes and I'm still in bed. I forgot to set my alarm.

I roll out of bed and go into my drawers to get out something to where before going into my bathroom to brush my teeth as I get changed.

Fifteen minutes later, I'm ready. I take my phone of the charger, grab my bag and barge into moms room. It's not like her an Maria to sleep in on a Monday but then I remembered that Maria had the day off work.

"Mom," I shake her a wake. She doesn't budge. "Mommm, get up," I speak louder. "Mmm," She groans. "Can you drive me to work?" I question. "Can't you drive yourself?" She asks in a groggy voice. "I'm running late and it will take me twenty minutes to even find a parking spot," I tell her.

"Hmm fine," She mumbles getting out of bed. She slides on her uggs and a jumper before walking out of her room, I follow behind her. Once she has her keys and her phone we walk out the front door and get into her car.

"Have some gum, your breath smells," I order, pulling out a packet from my bag. Her eyes narrow at me before she snatches it out my hand with a sarcastic scoff.

"Why are you grumpy," I laugh teasingly. "Because you woke me up early and ordered me around after I had a late night," She explains. "What are you on about, you and Maria went to bed before I did," I say.

She turns the engine and a silence fills the car. It took me a moment before it clicked. "Oh, ew, ew, ew, ew, ew. Why did you have to tell me that?" I groan, putting my face in my hands. She chuckles. "I didn't tell you anything, you're just assuming," She explains. I look at her and roll my eyes. "I don't want to know about your sex life."
"I didn't tell you anything Y/N," She laughs.

I glare at her before turning my head to look out in front of me. "Thank you for driving me," I mumble. "You're welcome sweetheart," She chuckles.

When she pulled up to the side of the road she gave me a quick kiss on the forehead before I thanked her again and walked into work.

"Oh I thought you just weren't going to show up," Amelia remarks jokingly as I walk around to the back. "Shut up, I'm only two minutes late," I giggle, hanging up my bag and putting on my apron.

"How was your weekend?" She questions. "Really good actually. How was yours?" I ask. "Mine was good. My boyfriend told me he's transferring to a different college so he's moving to Boston in the spring which I guess is better than Los Angeles," She tells me. "Oh that's good. What college?"
"Harvard."

"Oh, so he's like smart, smart?" I laugh. "Yeah well, he's studying medicine," She explains. "Wow," I say. "You go to college in Boston, right?"

"Yeah, MIT," I confirm. "Oh, so you're like smart, smart too," She laughs. "I wouldn't go as far as to say that," I chuckle dryly.

Amelia and I walk back out the front and get to work. We're both on coffee duty today so it gave us time to talk which was nice.

"I was thinking of actually moving to Boston with Charlie. I finished college in the spring and I could get a job over there," She shrugs. "I mean, it is really nice there. What's your degree in?" I question. "Journalism," She tells me.

~

The rest of the shift went really fast actually. Amelia and I spoke a lot today and she even offered for me to stay with her and her boyfriend if she decided to move to Boston in September. I mean, I'm still obviously not sure if I want to go back, but if I do at least I know I'd have somewhere to stay.

As per usual, Kate came in just before my shift ended. I felt my heart rate pick up when she smiled at me. "Hi," I smile sheepishly. A deep red probably brushing over my cheeks.

I'm not going to lie, I've though about Kate a lot since I last saw her on Saturday. I don't necessarily know why. I'm still not over MJ and it's literally only been a month.

"Hi," She smiles back. "How are you?" She questions. "I'm good, you?" I answer. "I'm good," She answers. The shakiness in her voice doesn't go unnoticed.

"Are you free on Thursday? I have the day off work and I just was wondering if you wanted to hang out?" She asks, taking the latte from my hands. "Yeah, I'm free," I nod. "Cool, well, I'll message you and we can organise something?"
"Sounds good," I smile.

"Great. I've got to get to work now, but I'll be in tomorrow," She says and I nod. "I hope you have a good day," My voice wavers. "Thanks, you too."

Once Kate is out of the shop, I turn back and start on the next persons order. I can see Amelia smirking out the corner of my eye before she starts making quiet kissing noises. "Shut up," I say bluntly which causes her to giggle.

________
A/N: hey!
I have had the corn song form tiktok stuck in my head for the last week
also I'm literally so excited for Taylor's new album 😫 if anything is going to make me get a new job I actually have more than 1 or 2 shifts a week it will be the fact that I'm scared of not having money for when she tours