chapter eight

Natasha:
"Sweetheart? Can you unlock the door please?" I ask calmly, even though my heart is beating a thousand miles per hour.

"Mom, I can't-I can't breathe," She speaks quietly and I can hear the panic in her voice.

"Okay, hold on one second detka," I tell her gently and grab a bobby pin off her vanity to pick the lock on her door.

When I get in, my heart breaks for Y/N all over again when I see her sitting on the floor with her back up against the wall and her knees to her chest.

Her breathing is heavy but her body looks frozen in place, so much so that she doesn't even lift her head to look at me.

I crouch down in front of her and take her hands in mine, holding them tightly. "What happened, sweetheart?" I question calmly.

"I-I don't know. Everything just felt too much and my mind wouldn't stop spinning and I was so close to doing it again but then everything felt numb," She admits in a shaky voice, still not making eye contact with me. It's only now that I notice the razor on the floor beside her. That must have been what she dropped.

"Oh honey," I sigh sadly. "Mama's here now, you're going to be okay," I assure her, lifting her chin up gently with my fingers. She immediately starts sobbing when her eyes meet mine.

"I can't breathe," She whispers. "Yes you can. Just follow me, okay?" I assure her sternly and she nods.

I purposely take slower and deeper breaths as Y/N tries to follow me. "It's not working," She sobs, shaking her head. "I just want you to hold me."

"Okay, okay," I say softly, shuffling next to her and pulling her in so that she's between my legs with her back against my chest. She turned herself so that she was on her side and her head was resting on my heart.

I wrapped one arm around her body which Y/N clung tightly to, and I gently ran my fingers through her hair with my free hand whilst whispering sweet nothings to her.

Maria must have noticed that I've been gone for a while so she came in to check on us. Her face immediately drops into a sad frown when she notices Y/N's state.

"Can I do anything?" She offers quietly. "Maybe if you could just get some water?" I ask and she nods with a sad smile.

"Wait-" I call out to her softly as she goes to leave the room. "Can you take this please?" I pass her the razor. She nods in understanding and I smile thankfully.

After a few minutes, Y/N's breathing slowed and Maria walked back in with a glass of water.

She passed it to me and I adjusted Y/N slightly. "Honey, do you want some water?" I ask softly. She nodded as she sat up slightly and took the glass from me. "Thank you," She mumbled to Maria.

Y/N takes a drink as I continue to comb my fingers through her hair.

"I'm sorry for being such a mess," Y/N spoke with a nervous chuckle. "Don't apologise sweetheart," I tell her assuringly. "You're allowed to be a mess," I smile lightly and she returns it.

"Are you hungry? Dinners ready," I question. "Yeah, a little," She nods. "Alright, let's go eat then," I decide and stand up from the floor. Y/N reaches her hands out and I pull her up.

When we got to the kitchen I noticed that Maria had already served our food up so I thanked her and we took our food into the living room.

"You still want to watch Pitch Perfect?" I ask and Y/N nods. I smile and turn on Netflix before pulling the blanket over the three of us.

Even after all these years and all the times she's seen the movie, Y/N still laughs at Amy's jokes which then makes me laugh.

Half way through the movie, Y/N got up from the couch and took our bowls into the kitchen before walking out with a tub of ice cream and three spoons.

"I'm not wallowing alone," She states, passing a spoon to Maria and I before flopping back down onto the couch.

"Wait I wanna be in the middle," She decides, standing back up and gesturing for me to move over.

Throughout the rest of the movie, Y/N kept swapping between resting her head on mine and Maria's shoulders.
I think it surprised Maria at first because Y/N has never really been great with any physical touch with anyone except for me. I mean sure she will hug Maria but never anything more - which is so understandable with her past.

She slowly got more comfortable as the years went on though and she seems to trust her.

When the movie finished, Y/N was almost asleep on my shoulder. "Do you want to sleep here or in your bed?" I question. "Bed," She mumbles.

I gently move her off my shoulder and help her up from the couch. Maria had already fallen asleep, so I told Y/N to wait in her room whilst I put the ice cream away.

As I threw the spoons in the dishwasher, I heard a loud groan come from Y/N.

"What's wrong?" I frown, walking into her room. She doesn't verbally respond - only points to the suitcase on her bed.

I laugh and pick up the suitcase and place it in the floor before she gets into bed.

I pull the covers over her a place a kiss on her forehead. "Night mama. I love you," She mumbles with her eyes already closed. "Goodnight sweetheart. I love you too," I coo before turning off her light and closing her door.

___________
A/N: hey! bit of a shorter chapter but I hope you enjoyed :)

here's a reminder that you are so loved & so beautiful! remember to take care of yourself & show yourself the same love you show to others <3