chapter twenty

-Saturday Afternoon-

Y/N:
I spoke with Miss Danvers yesterday and filed a restraining order against Levi. We also spoke about my stepdad and whether or not he's been released from prison so, she went back and checked and confirmed that his sentence was only five years long so he would have gotten out recently.

I think at the time mom and I were told that, but truthfully we both were so focused that day on whether or not I got to stay with her or I had to go to a foster home, that we both forgot.

Most of that day is still embedded in my brain unfortunately. The whole day was a mess, expect obviously for the fact that we won the case. Everything else fell apart for a while.

I remember it being the first day I ever hurt myself which I don't know if that's something a lot of people would remember if they've ever struggled with that, but I think because a multitude of events happened that day, I couldn't forget no matter how hard I tried.

Mom never found out about it, in fact I still don't think that she knows to this day. There's no point telling her now though. She only found out about it the first time she walked into the bathroom and caught me doing it. That was only the second time it happened but I felt so guilty that she had to deal with me.

I felt so ashamed of myself. I felt stupid. I remember really hating myself at that point in my life.

The only thing that used to keep me going was the fact that I got to see mom before she was my mom, everyday in class. She used to bring me a hot chocolate every morning and a muffin just incase I hadn't eaten.

Sometimes I miss those days. I'm sure everyone who is an adult says that though.
Even though at the time I felt like there was no room for mistakes or mishaps, it feels like there's even less time now.

~

I'm currently out for lunch with Kate. It's been really nice actually being able to properly spend time with her, not just bumping into each other at work or in alleyways.

We decided on getting burgers and she said told me to meet at a place called Yesly's Burgers and honestly, I think this is the best burger I've ever had.

The two of us talked a lot about our parents and college. The awkward exes conversation unfortunately came up too, but it wasn't as uncomfortable as I thought I would be. I don't even know how we got on that subject, but we did.

I still get sad talking about MJ and I know I still love her, but it's not as hard as it was a a few weeks ago. Every day gets a little easier.

"Are you full?" Kate questions. "Unfortunately yes, that was so good and I want more," I laugh. "I know right. I refuse to have burgers from anywhere else in the city," She admits with an enthusiastic smile.

"Do you want to get ice cream?" I ask as I sign the check. "I thought you said you were full? Also why are you paying for my food? I didn't say you could do that," She chuckles. "Yeah, well not for ice cream I'm not," I shrug. "And I don't mind, honestly," I add with a small smile.

Kate's eyes meet mine as she smiles. "Thank you," She speaks genuinely and I nod.

She clears her throat. "Yes, we can get ice cream," She tells me and my smile widens. "Yay!" I enthuse, standing up from my chair. Kate just laughs at me and shakes her head.

We walk around the corner to the nearest ice cream shop and Kate practically demanded that she paid considerably that I paid for lunch.

"What flavour are you getting?" She questions. "Cookies and cream," I say and she nods.

"Can we please two cookies and cream," She asks the lady at the till. "Cup or cone?"
Kate turns her head to me. "I'll have it in a cone," I tell her. "Okay. Both in cones please."

Once Kate pays, the worker hands us our ice cream and we walk out the store. "Thank you," I say. "Thank you for lunch," She says in return.

It took me less than a minute to drop ice cream on my shirt. I stopped in my tracks and Kate looked at me and chuckle. "Damn it," I purse my lips together. She handed me a napkin and I wiped it off as best I could, but I didn't really work. It was so obvious.

"I have a jacket if you want?" Kate offers. I pause for a split second before meeting her eyes. "I can't take your jacket," I tell her, tilting my head slightly. "Why?" He eyes narrow playfully. "You know why," I sigh. "No, I don't. Please, enlighten me," She laughs knowingly and I roll my eyes jokingly.

"Seriously though, it doesn't have to mean anything. It's just a jacket and you can give it back to me when you're in the car, but you look like an idiot right now," She raises an eyebrow. My mouth falls wide open as I gasp. "Rude," I pretend to be offended.

"But thank you," I add. She smiles and takes her jacket out of her bag. She holds my ice cream for me as I put it on.

~

The rest of the time the two of us went for a walk through the park before she walked me back to my car. I took off her jacket before I got in. "Thank you, for the jacket. And for today. I had a really great time," I admit sheepishly.

"You're welcome. Thank you, I had a great time too," She smiles lightly. "I'll see you Monday?" She confirms. "Yeah, see you then," I nod before getting into my car.

"Bye Y/N."
"Bye Kate," I smile before closing the door as she walks off to her car which was only parked a few spaces in front of mine.

I turn on the engine and connect Bluetooth so I can listen to Taylor Swift whilst I drive home. I decided to stop for coffee and get one for mom and Maria too whilst I was there.

When I get home I turn off the engine and undo my seatbelt. A small smile creeps up on my lips as I think of how much I really enjoyed Kate's company.

She was a really easy person to talk to. Not once was there a moment where I felt awkward or judged. For the first time in a long time I had someone other than my own parents that I felt I could to talk anything about. I probably overshared some things considering it was only our first time hanging out but Kate didn't seem to mind. I could tell that she was really listening to what I was saying.

I felt comfortable with her and safe and..."Ohhh. Damn it."

_________
A/N: hellooo :)
I hope you all have a lovely day/night <3