chapter thirteen

-Two weeks later-

Y/N:
Overall, I feel like I'm starting to get better again. A lot of the time I still feel sad but it's not all the time now and mom and Maria have been there for me, no matter what.

I haven't hurt myself since the time mom walked in on me, so I'm just over two weeks clean. I try not to get mad at myself for relapsing, especially after four years of being clean, but I do get annoyed at myself sometimes. I feel like I've not only let myself down, but my mom too. And feeling like I've let my mom down is the worst feeling in the world.

We had a talk about it though, and she said that not a single part of her was disappointed in me which definitely made me feel better. Sometimes it hits me just how lucky I am to have her as my mom. She's amazing and I love her more than anyone else in the world.

Last week I caught up with Peter for the first time in over a month and we obviously went to Delmars and walked around Queens for a bit. Apparently he didn't know about the whole MJ situation which was an awkward conversation to have but he understood and said there he was there for me if I needed to talk.

He also bought up the fact that the four of us - meaning Peter, Ned, MJ and I - wouldn't be able to hang out in a group anymore. It wasn't said in a malicious way or anything but I guess it hadn't really though about it.

I told him that maybe eventually we could again but for a while it might be too awkward. Maybe MJ and I could be friends again in the future. It might not be easy considering we were always more than that, but it's not to say it's impossible.

•••

Today is my first day at my new job. It's at a coffee shop only a twenty minute walk from my house, which is convenient.

I've never really been a big fan of change so it's safe to say that I'm quite nervous. When I met with the manager he seemed quite nice and I felt somewhat comfortable around him which doesn't happen with a lot of men - not with everything that's happened.

My shift this morning is only for a few hours but it's at the busiest time of day, seven-thirty until ten-thirty.

I was in-charge of actually making the coffee today which I didn't mind, it meant it didn't have to talk to people and take order after order.

Trying to make coffee in rush hour at a Starbucks on campus versus a coffee shop in Brooklyn is very different though and it's been nonstop since I started.

"Hi," A deep voice spoke as I placed the freshly made cappuccino on the 'pick-up' counter. I had already turned back around to get back to making coffee so I whip my head around in the direction of the voice. "Hi," I smile back at him before starting on the next cup of coffee.

"Are you new here?" He questions curiously. "Uh yeah, first day," I admit and he nods.

There conversation comes to halt whilst I finish making the next coffee.

When I turn back around to place it on the counter I see him still standing there. He seemed quite nervous.

"I-I'm Levi by the way," He tells me and I smile softly. "I'm Y/N," I inform him before getting back to work.

Levi stood there and drank his coffee - which was in a takeaway cup by the way, so I was confused as to why he hadn't left - as I made at least three more coffees.

I could feel his gaze on me which sort of was making me uncomfortable but I don't think he meant it to be creepy.

Ten minutes later, the busyness had slowed down slightly and Levi was standing as the counter again. "You make good coffee," He acknowledges with a small smile. "Thanks," I let out a small chuckle.

"Can I tell you something?" He questions nervously. "Okay?"
"I think that you're really beautiful and I'm sure that you're probably already with someone, but if you're not, would it be okay if I got your number?" He asks, sliding his hands into his pockets.

I have to admit, being called beautiful by a complete stranger makes me smile, and as nice as he seems I not that there's not a part of me that's ready for anything new - with anyone.

I sigh and scrunch my nose up. "I'm sorry."

He drops his head in defeat before shaking it and looking back up at me with an understanding smile. "It's no worries."

I don't know why, but I feel the need to explain myself further, so I do. "It's just, I only got out of a really serious relationship a few weeks ago and I'm not ready for anything new."

"You don't need to explain yourself, you're allowed to say no," He chuckles.

"But, if you ever change your mind, I'm a regular here so...just let me know," He smiles softly, which I return.

"Goodbye Y/N," He says with a single nod. "Bye."

•••

Just as my shift was about to finish, Kate walked in the door.

"Hey," I find myself saying as I watch her approach the counter. "Oh, hey," She smiles warmly. "You work here?" She questions. "Yeah, first shift," I shrug.

"Oh cool, how did it go?" She asks. "Good," I nod. "Busy, but good."

"What can I get for you?" The lady working the till interrupts.

Once Kate orders, I start on making her coffee.

"So, you know Yelena?" I mention. "Uh yeah, I do," She answers. "I was wondering if Yelena was your auntie that you mentioned when we met at Shawarmas a couple of weeks ago after you told me about her dogs name and I was going to ask but then I didn't want to make it awkward—" She rambles.

I chuckle slightly as I pass her the latte. "Well, maybe I'll see you again- you know if Yelena—"
Without meaning to, I cut her off. "I mean if you wanted to, we could hang out some time?" I offer.

"As friends," I add, noticing the confused look on her face.

"O-okay, yeah sure. We can do that," She smiles softly. "I have to run to work now but, here's my number," She says, pulling a pen out of her bag and writing her number on a napkin.

"I'll be back here tomorrow for coffee, I come everyday," She laughs. "Will you be here?"
"Yeah, I work seven-thirty until ten-thirty Monday to Thursday," I inform her. "Great, I'll see you tomorrow then."

_________
A/N: hellooo! how are you?

I feel like my writing is very hit and miss lately :/

I've just had a lot on my mind and I'm trying to work through some things, but I still want to write cause it gives me a distraction and I actually enjoy doing it ahah