chapter thirty-two

Friday

Natasha:
Moments like these remind me of how incredibly lucky I am to have Y/N as my daughter. I never thought I would be standing here doing something as simple as curling her hair for her date. I never thought I would be able to have a kid, especially not one as amazing as Y/N. I never got to experience this when I was her age and for a long time I thought that I was only something you saw in movies or read about in books.

So, it's the simple moments like this that I never want to take for granted.

"All done," I smile, placing the curling iron down and turning it off at the switch. "Thank you," she says, looking at me in the mirror.

"You look so beautiful," I admit, my bottom lip falling into a pout. Her lips purse together as she shrugs. "What if she says something about my scars?" She asks nervously.

Yesterday when we went shopping Y/N found a dress that she really liked, but she was hesitant to get it and wear it tonight because she's only ever worn long sleeves around Kate and was scared that she would think differently off her after seeing her scars.

Kate doesn't really strike me as someone who would, but I still told Y/N that if she did, she didn't deserve to be with her.

"Sweetheart, remember what I told you yesterday," I grab onto her shoulders and turn her around to face me, "you are not defined by your past, or by what someone may or may not think of you. You are so strong and so beautiful, remember that."
She nods. Her eyes are slightly glassy, but she blinks before any tears fall. "I'm so proud of you," I smile and press my lips against her forehead. "Thank you," she mumbles before embracing me in a hug.

"Wait here, I'll be back," I tell her and quickly run out her bathroom and into my bedroom.
When I come back, I show her the gold necklace. "I wore this on my first date with Maria. Think of it as a good luck charm."
A smile curls onto her lips as she turns around so I can clip it on for her.

"I love you my beautiful girl," I smile lightly. "I love you too, mama."

"Have fun. If I'm not awake by the time you get back come in and wake me up. I want to hear all about it," I tell her. She chuckles slightly, "I will."

We walk out into the living room, Y/N grabs her purse and the flowers she picked up this morning before giving me another hug.

"Are you sure I look okay?" She questions with a sigh. "Sweetheart, you look stunning," I assure her. She smiles softly and nods. "I'll see you soon," she says. "See you soon honey," I smile.

Y/N:
When I arrive at Kate's apartment, I take a deep breath before knocking on the door. As I wait for her to answer I brush out my dress to make sure there aren't any crinkles in it.

She opens the door and her mouth hangs open. For a second I get worried before she says; "Wow, you look stunning."
I drop my head and smile as my entire body heats up. "Thank you, so do you," I tell her.

"These are for you," I speak anxiously as I hold out the bouquet of flowers. She smiles, "thank you, Y/N. These are beautiful."

She walks back into her apartment, assuming to put her flowers in a vase. I anxiously stand outside the door not knowing if I should go in or not.

"You can come in," she calls out.

I follow her into her kitchen as she takes out a vase and fills it with water. Once she's put the flowers in, she picks up her phone and her purse before she bends down, giving Lucky a quick kiss on her head.

As she stands back up, I notice her eyes linger on my forearms for a second. A rush of anxiety runs through me before her gaze meet mine and she smiles genuinely. She holds out her hand for me to take, which I do, before she presses her lips against my cheek.

When we get to the restaurant and sit at our table, we decide to order three different meals because neither of us knew what we wanted so we thought we'd just share.

Within ten minutes I forgot I was even on a date. It feels like I've known Kate my whole life. I feel as much myself around her as I do when I'm at home.

Still, I felt a bit anxious about my scars and kept them covered as much as I possibly could, but Kate didn't mention anything.

After we'd eaten we decided to go for a walk along the river. Kate took my hand in hers and rested her head on my shoulder. Not many words were exchanged between us, we walked in a comfortable silence - the only sound being from the people talking in the distance.

Eventually we came to a stop and Kate stepped in front of me. As she let go of my hand I unconsciously rub my hand over my scars. She notices this and gently grabs my face. "I want you to know that you never have to hide yourself from me, okay?"

I don't why, but I feel myself become teary. A sense of relief comes with the way she spoke. Her tone was so genuine. I don't think I realised how scared I was that she was going to view me differently.

Again, she takes my hands in hers before she leans in and gently presses her soft lips against mine. When she pulls away, her forehead rests on mine. "I'm really glad I met you, Y/N," she whispers. "I'm really glad I met you too, Kate," I smile softly before kissing her again.

~

We spent an hour walking back down the river, to my car before I dropped Kate back off at her apartment and went home.

All the lights were off in the house which meant Mom and Maria were already asleep, but still, I took off my shoes and turned on the hallways light so I could see, before opening their bedroom door and crawling in between the two of them. They must have only just fallen asleep because my moving the sheets woke the both of them up.

"Hi sweetheart, how was your date?" Mom questions quietly. "It was really good," I say, a giddy smile curling on my lips, "I really, really, like her. Like a lot," I admit. A small giggle comes from both of them. "I'm so happy for you, hon," Maria says tiredly. "Thanks. I'm happy for me too," I mumble.

"I'll leave you guys to sleep now," I decide, sitting up. "No, we wanna hear more," Mom says, grabbing my arm and pulling my back down.

___________
A/N: hi homies
how y'all doing?