chapter three

Y/N:
I couldn't really eat the pancakes I made because I felt sick, so I ended up throwing them into Otis' bowl for him to eat instead once mom had left the room because I knew she'd tell me that I had to eat something and get worried that I was going to slip back into old habits, but I physically felt like I would puke if I ate anything this morning.

Afterwards, I showered and got ready for the day before I sat in the living room for a couple of hours and zoned out whilst F.R.I.E.N.D.S was playing on the tv.

Just after ten o'clock, I decided that I should probably leave so I could get back to Boston in time to spend the afternoon studying. I grabbed the backpack I brought with me last night and stole a couple things from the pantry because I knew there wasn't much food back at the apartment.

"Hey, I'm going back now. But I'll see you on Friday," I say with a sigh as I walk into the living room where mom and Maria were sat.

They both up from the couch and Maria gave me a hug and a kiss on my head. "Let me know if there's anything I can do, okay?" She speaks softly. "I will, thank you," My lips curl into a small smile.

"See you, Otis," I bend over the back of the couch and kiss the top of his head. He just growled in response, clearly not happy with the fact that I woke him up. "He doesn't miss me much, does he?" I laugh.

Mom chuckles lightly and grabs my shoulder. "I'll walk you out," She says.

"Bye honey," Maria smiles softly. "Bye," I smile back.

When we got out to my car, I threw my bag onto the passenger seat before turning to my mom. "Are you sure you don't want me to come?" She questions concernedly. "I'll be okay, mama," I assure her. "Okay, sweetheart. But like I said, you can call me whenever and I'll be on my way," She tells me. "Thank you," I smile gently.

"I love you," She places a kiss on my forehead. "I love you too."

I get into my car and turn on the engine before Mom waves and I drive off. I ended up turning the radio on this time in attempt to distract my mind, but it didn't really work.

I stopped for coffee and a croissant on the way which I only managed to eat about half of it, but still, it's better than nothing.

When I got back to the apartment, I unlocked the door and saw that everything was exactly how it was left last night. I don't know why I was expecting anything to be different, but a part of me was hoping that MJ came back this morning to take her things so that I didn't have to stare at them for the next week.

With a long sigh, I threw my bag onto the counter and the empty coffee cup that I took in with me from the car into the bin.

Despite everything looking the same, it all feels different. Even with all the mess, the apartment feels empty.

I put the other half of the croissant into the fridge so it didn't go off, and took out a plastic water bottle. Probably not the best for the environment, but oh well.

I walked into our, the, bedroom and stared for a moment. A few of MJ's shirts were on the floor, the photo she had framed of us still on her nightstand next to her favourite book that she's probably re-read a million times.

I bite the inside of my cheek and my vision becomes blurry with tears as I walk over to her side of the bed and pick up the pillow she would sleep on every night.

It smells like her.

My body is overcome with my emotions and I immediately start sobbing as I practically collapse onto the bed, holding her pillow tightly.

A while - a long while passes before I even try to get up again. There goes my afternoon of studying.

It's dark outside by the time I get out of bed. The only thing getting me up in the first place is the fact that my stomach is growling.

When I open the pantry and fridge to see that the only thing to eat is half a croissant, a granola bar or a bag of pretzels, I groan and pick up my phone to see if I have any money to order in, because I'll be damned if I'm going to get groceries now.

The only money I have left is what I need to pay rent on Wednesday, I don't even enough to get groceries.

I really don't like asking my mom for money because I'm trying to be more independent, but unless I want to starve this week I think I might have to.

Just as I go to call her, she FaceTimes me. I quickly look I'm the mirror to make sure I don't look like I've been crying for the last five hours before I answer.

"Hey sweetheart, did you get back safely?" She questions. "Yeah, I did."
"That's good. How are you feeling?"
I shrug in response as tears start to brim in my eyes again. "Oh honey, is there anything I can do?" She offers and I shake my head, wiping my eyes with the sleeve of my shirt.

"Actually I have one favour to ask," I admit and she nods. "I have no food here and I don't have any money left so I was wondering if I could borrow some just for this week and I'll pay you back as soon as I can?"
"Y/N, of course you can. And no you will not pay me back, I'm your mother and I'm here to help," She smiles genuinely. "Thank you," I sigh.
"How much do you think you need? Actually I'll just transfer you enough for a month and then what you don't use you can put into your savings or something," She decides. "Mom, I don't need a months worth," I chuckle slightly. "Yeah, but you don't have a job so..." She shrugs.
I pause for a minute before answering, "Fine. Thank you."
"Of course sweetheart," She smiles.

Mom and I spoke for a little bit longer before we hung up and I ordered Mexican food for dinner.

Whilst I waited for it to arrive, I got into my pyjamas and turned on the tv after deciding that I had completely given up on studying for the day.

Once I'd managed to eat the full meal, I climbed into bed and scrolled on my phone for a while before attempting to sleep.

Not even five minutes later I felt tears streaming uncontrollably down my face as I looked at the empty space next to me. I'd already taken MJ's pillows off of the bed but the sheets still smelt like her.

I rolled over and reached for my phone and called my mom. It was already midnight so she might be asleep, but I can't pretend that I'm going to be okay without her this week.

__________
A/N: hiii <3
I hope you're all enjoying it so far!