chapter twenty-three

Y/N:
The sound of my alarm blared at six a.m, making my head throb. A groan escaped my mouth and I reach over for my phone to turn it off. Why did my mother let me drink so much?

I drag myself out of bed and immediately make my way into the kitchen. Usually I would shower first but there's no way I'm doing anything before I have coffee.

Mom and Maria are already up and ready in the kitchen as they drink their coffee. They both laugh slightly, probably at my appearance, as I walk over to the coffee pot and pour myself a cup.

"How are you feeling?" Maria asks humourlessly. I narrow my eyes and her as I take a drink. "Why did you let me drink so much?" I mumble. "We didn't. You're just very stubborn and told us not to tell you what to do every time we suggested you stopped," Mom explains, laughing. "Hm yeah, that sounds about right," I say.

"Here, take this," She tells me, taking out some Advil from the medicine cabinet. "Thanks," I smile lightly before swallowing the pills with a drink of water.

"I start work later than usual today if you want a lift to your work?" Maria offers. I send her a grateful smile. "Thank you."

Once I'd finished getting ready, Maria drove me to work - not without stopping to get bagels on the way.

When I got around the back I took out some paracetamol from my bag considering I still had a massive headache and the Advil unfortunately didn't do much.

"You look happy to be awake," Amelia remarks as she walked in. "Shh," I groan. "Are you hungover?" She laughs. I turn my head and glare at her. "It's a Tuesday–"

"Who did you get drunk with on a Monday night because I want to know them," She questions enthusiastically. "My family, or more so my aunt," I tell her. "Jeez, I want to meet you family. Next time you go out drinking on a Monday night, invite me? I just sat home with Charlie and binged Game of Thrones."

"It's a very very rare occasion. We were just celebrating," I inform her. "Celebrating what?"
"My college results."
"Ooooh what did you get?" She asks excitedly. One thing I've learned about the couple weeks I've worked with Amelia is that she's a very nosey person and will do anything and everything she can to get an answer out of you. So, my hungover self just decides to tell her instead of having to put up with her asking me for the next three hours.

"I ranked first in my class," I say. Her mouth falls wide open. "Jesus, girl. That's amazing," She smiles proudly. I smile softly and say thank you.

~

Work is quieter than usual today, which I'm not going to lie, I'm extremely grateful for.

It's half way through my shift, Amelia and I are talking about Boston when someone I wish I'd never see again walks through the door.

Immediately I feel like I'm going to be sick. A wave a anxiety and nausea rush through my body. My head is spinning.

He reeks of alcohol and cigarettes.

My stepdad sees me and stops moving. He doesn't get any closer to the counter.

I feel like I fall back into my fourteen year old self's mind.

"Y/N?" Amelia waves her hand in front of my face. I jump slightly out of my daze and turn my head to look at her before looking back at my stepdad.

He starts walking over to the counter and I feel like I'm shutting down. Amelia must have realised something was wrong, so she takes a hold of my wrist and pulls me around to the back, telling Sienna and James something in the meantime. I didn't make out what it was though.

Natasha:
I was in the middle of feeding Otis when I saw that Y/N was calling me. When I picked up and heard someone else's worried tone, my stomach sank.

She said her name was Amelia and she told me that Y/N was having a panic attack and she's tried everything she could to calm her down but nothing worked so she called me.

By the time she's finished explaining, I was already out the door and in the car. I could hear Y/N sobbing and whispering things to herself on the other side of the phone which made my heart break.

Amelia stayed on the phone for the ten minutes it took for me to get there.

When I walk inside, I immediately know why this happened. Y/N's stepdad is sitting at a table with a coffee. By the look on his face, he definitely remembers me as I approach him.

"Get out," I tell him. "I just wanted to—"

"I told you to never come back here." A stern voice speaks from behind me. I turn around and see a man with blonde hair and a sports jacket on. The name on the jacket is Scott. He must be the manager.

I let Scott deal with it and I make my way around to the back where Amelia said she was with Y/N.

__________
A/N: I was gonna write more but I'm too tired...
I kinda hate this chapter turned out but anywaysss

how are you??

also, whilst you're here, go read this book by gayfortasha it's literally amazing

also, whilst you're here, go read this book by gayfortasha  it's literally amazing