chapter twenty-nine

Y/N:
My eyes slowly opened as they adjusted to the dim light of the sun that was beginning to rise. Both Kate and I decided to have a nap for an hour or so because one of us is going to have to drive home and we couldn't do that on no sleep.

Once my eyes had adjusted, I smiled as I turned my head to see Kate still asleep next to me. She's on her stomach, one arm thrown over me whilst the other is tucked underneath her body. She looks so peaceful when she sleeps.

We made an agreement that whoever woke up first has to wake the other one of us up so we could watch the sunrise together. That's if we'd wake up in time. But thanks to my insomnia, that wasn't an issue.

"Kate, the sun's starting to rise," I turn onto my side and gently shake her awake. She groans, "tell it to stop."
I giggle. "Trust me, if I could, I would," I say quietly.

Her eyes slowly open as she rolls off her stomach and onto her side to face me. "Hi," she speaks in a croaky voice. A small, tired smile curls up on her lips. "Hi," I whisper, returning the smile. We stay in silence, staring at each other like a couple of six year olds in a staring contest, until Kate speaks up.

"I want coffee," she says sleepily. "Me too," I chuckle.

She lets out a yawn as she sits up, stretching her arms wide. I smile and sit up next to her, also yawning. "You're cute," she giggles, her arms wrapping around me as she pulls me into her. My face turns red as I try to hold back a grin. I fail.

I rest my head on her shoulder. She rests her head on top of mine. "It's really cold," I state tiredly. Immediately she reaches for the warmer of the two blankets behind her and wraps it around the both of us before kissing the top of my head. "Thank you," I speak quietly.

Only a few words were exchanged in the next thirty minutes whilst we watched the sunrise. I haven't felt this at peace in a long time.

"I think there's a coffee shop about ten minutes from here so we can stop there before we drive home," Kate informs me. "Okay," I nod with a small smile.

The two of us crawled out of the back of the car and shut the door of the boot. "Thank you, Kate. I've had a really great time," I say as I get into the passenger seat. "Me too," she smiles softly.

~

We obviously made sure we got ourselves coffee before driving the two hours home. Still, even dosed up on caffeine, I managed to sleep most of the drive.
I woke up again to the sound of Kate's voice. "Y/N, we're back," she spoke as I gently felt her lips press against my forehead. I groan before stretching in my seat and opening my eyes.

"Can you stay?" I mumble, holding onto her hand. "I mean do you, are you sure you want me to?" She questions, slightly surprised. I tilt my head slightly, "I wouldn't have asked if I didn't want you to. But I don't want you to feel pressured to stay either," I smile slightly.

"Okay," she grins with a hint of excitement, "I promised I'd have lunch with my mother today and I do have to go home and feed Lucky at some point—"
"Who the heck is Lucky?" I interrupt her. "My dog," she shrugs. "I thought your dogs name was Pizza?"
"Yeah well, it was. But then I started to feel bad when I'd tell her I was having pizza for dinner because I think she thought I meant I was having her for dinner and there was this whole thing," she explains, rolling her eyes with a giggle. I laugh with her. "You're an idiot," I say.

"I can stay for a few hours and then I'll have to go but I can come back?" She offers. "Yes please," I smile sheepishly. "Okay," she smiles too.

We both get out the car and I unlock the front door before we walk inside.
I showed Kate around remembering that she's never been inside before, the last place being my bedroom. "Is that a Gilmore Girls poster above your desk?" She asks with a bit of a chuckle. "Shhh, you saw nothing," I giggle, covering her eyes with my hand.

"I love that show," she says. "Me too, obviously. My mom and I watch it together all the time," I explain.

"Do you want something to eat? I can make pancakes?" I offer, "or we can have a nap?"
"Pancakes then nap?" She suggests. "Sounds good," I smile, before taking ahold of her wrist and pulling her into the kitchen.

___________
A/N: I'm too tired to write anymore so sorry for the shorter chapter!
anywaysss I hope you're all doing well and have a great day :)