Too good to be true

A few days passed.

The boys decided to work again, atleast unofficially, practicing their choreography.

The day was... strange for sure.

The boys could sense that something happened between Namjoon and Yoongi. They tried their best diffusing the tension every way they could— cracking jokes, fooling around, breaking into random songs and these were enough to uplift Namjoon's mood in case of a quarrel with his lover.

Except. Nothing happened between them.

They didn't quarrel or disagree on anything yet Namjoon didn't understand why Yoongi's was acting so strange. A small yet obvious wall was growing between them and as much as Namjoon tried, it felt like Yoongi wasn't making an effort to break it.

Trying not to think of the worst, Namjoon and Yoongi headed towards their car after the practice was over. Namjoon mentally decided to talk to Yoongi.

The parking lot was empty. It was late night and the staffs were already home. The boys headed back too after sometime, leaving only Yoongi and Namjoon to go back home.

The atmosphere was quite tense and awkward between them, something that Namjoon hasn't felt in long with Yoongi. But today...

"Hyung, I—"

"We need to talk." Yoongi cut his words off. Namjoon stopped himself from saying something. He knew Yoongi knows that he hates being interrupted mid-talk and almost anyone who interrupted him, do apologize so this was quite a surprise.

Yoongi looked... serious. Suddenly, a feeling of immense fear crashed upon Namjoon. "I-Yeah... sure. I think we should go home first..?"
Yoongi seemed to consider it for a moment and nodded lightly.

The ride back home was silent, an anticipation of something fearful and unwanted. Namjoon slowly held Yoongi hand, who didn't even hold back. There was an uncanny silence between them— no music, silent laboured breaths of Namjoon, long exhales of Yoongi and just the sound of the traffic and car.
Namjoon moved his hand away, feeling it go clammy.

He just hoped Yoongi wouldn't do something they'd both regret.

♤♤♤

"Let's break up."

Only silence followed the three words. Namjoon realized it was the worst silence of his life.

It was as if he could hear his heartbeat in ears. A slight keening voice filled his ear, warming his face as if the blood started to rush all in his ears. He still wasn't sure if he heard his hyung right. A small chuckle escaped his throat.

"W-What?"

"We should break up," Yoongi repeated again, his face slowly going pink as his voice constricted. However, Namjoon just stared at him, dumbly.

"I can't understand."

Yoongi exhaled in a loud impatience, blinking more than necessary, staring everywhere but him. "Namjoon, I'm breaking up with you!"

Yoongi had not once seen Namjoon speechless in this way, his eyes filling up. Suddenly, the younger started chuckling; first quietly, then loudly as slowly his chuckles turned into sobs, gut-wrenching. Yoongi wanted to break off his resolve, hug him tightly, tell him he was just a fucking idiot saying dumb stuffs. But he couldn't, he was rooted in his place.

This is the only way, Joon-ah. To help you.

Suddenly, Namjoon crowded up in his space, almost falling on his knees as he held Yoongi's hands between his. He looked desperate. Devastated.