Hope

Chapter 2– Hope

Andrea went home, made lunch, spent the afternoon watching movies and chatting with her friends, and playing with Kitty, but none of that got Claire out of her mind.

Her phone vibrated and Andrea saw Taylor's message asking how her visit to the orphanage had been.

Deciding not to tell Taylor about Claire's disturbing story yet, Andrea called her, talking about the director's delight at the donation and the idea of ​​the concert, mentioning that most of the girls sang her songs during breaks of classes.

Taylor and Andreia then worked out on the details and the date, and the singer said good night to her mother, not realizing that she was distracted.

The woman felt a heaviness in her heart as she remembered the poor child.  Watching her mother die in front of her in the most violent way possible and going to an orphanage at the age of three, learning to live with other children, some of them mean, and living with probably confused memories about her mother... It was a lot of suffering for a girl so young.

And then there were the little girl's words: "the last person who hugged me like that was my mommy."

As a mother, those words cut her heart deeply.  If she could be Claire's mother...

“Ah, girl, if I were younger I could adopt you and fill you with love, affection, everything you need... But no matter, they will never give your custody to a divorced old lady...” Andrea thought.

She then took her medication and went to bed, but obviously didn't sleep more than two hours that night, and even the little sleep she had, she dreamed of Claire.

- Oh little girl, I've seen so many sad stories... Why did yours catch me so much?

As she sipped her coffee, she sighed and made a decision.

“Well, Kitty, it doesn't hurt to try, does it?” Andrea smiled at the dog, petting her.

The woman picked up the phone and called the lawyer.

– Mr Miles, good morning!

– Good morning, Mrs Finley.  How can I help you?

– Mr Miles I'll cut to the chase.  What is the chance that a lady my age will be able to adopt a child?

The man was silent for a few seconds, considering.

–  Well, Mrs. Finley, before answering you precisely, I would have to talk to you personally.  I don't have clients for the next two hours.  Can you stop by my office now?

– Of course, I'm free.– the blonde answer, barely hiding your enthusiasm for not hearing a "no" instantly.

– Very well then, I'll be waiting for you.

Much more excited, Andrea grabbed her bag and headed to the office.

– Mr Miles, nice to see you again.

–My pleasure, Mrs Finley.

– Please call me Andrea, we've known each other for so many years, we can call each other by our first names, George.– She asked.

The middle-aged man nodded, smiling.

– Very well, Andrea.  You mention an adoption.  Tell me where that desire came from.

Andrea then explained the whole story of the visit to the orphanage, and Claire's traumatic past.

– Well, Andrea, the first step is for you to talk to the director and ask for the documents we need to start the process.  Then, we need to write the speech you will make when asked why adopt a child after fifty years and strengthen the bond between you and the child, since she will be heard by specialized professionals as well.  Of course, when you apply, you will have the right to spend some time with the girl at home, and then she will most likely return to the orphanage until the final decision is made.  And even after the final decision, there will be visits from social workers.