Making peace with the past

The Lucky one chapter 25 - Making peace with the past

3 am in the morning and Taylor couldn't sleep. Turning on the bedside lamp she put a robbie over her baby doll and went downstairs, knowing it would be impossible to sleep the rest of the night.
Surprisingly she wasn't the only one who'd lost sleep.

– Seems like I'm not the only one nervous,uh?– Taylor said to Andrea. 

– Not at all. Claire is all excited of course, but we know the whole truth. This last two weeks it's been like a torture.

– My friends from tour who say it. I couldn't concentrate enough for rehearsals these days, it's been a nightmare. But how can I put effort into dancing when I'm still traumatized with what I heard? Mafia? Seriously?

– Oh, I had a nightmare that night where we were all from the Mafia, we were all dressed in black clothes and hats, and even Claire was there. She had a fucking gun on her tiny hands and was threateaning whoever was saying no to her. 

They both laughed a little.

– At least it is her birthday tomorrow, so we are going to have a fun day, without any worries. Of course we have to add a bodyguard for Claire when she grows up, but Mr Robinson believes she's safe from her past and I do think we should trust him.

Andrea nodded, handing Taylor a cup of tea.
– Thanks, mom.

They talk for a while and decided to try to get some sleep again.

Taylor close her eyes for what looked like seconds before a little firecracker start to jump on her bed.

– Sis, wake up! My mom's friend will be here soon!

– Hmm– Taylor groaned against the pillow and then finally sat on the bed.

– Good morning!– Claire said, bursting out laughing seeing Taylor's face.

– Oh, I was going to wake her up but it seems like she already jump from bed with energy– Andrea enter the room while Taylor was still rubbing her eyes.

– Morning, sweet– Andrea kissed Taylor and turned to her youngest – Morning, baby. Let's get you ready to talk with your mom's friend, ok?

– Yes!– she jumped into Andrea's arms and waved to Taylor, who wanted to explode from the amount of cuteness seeing Claire in Andrea's arms like a koala.

Fighting against the urge of sleeping again, Taylor got up and texted Joe, asking him to cross his fingers so everything would go well. She started then to get ready, washing her face and brushing her teeth before slipping into a pair of Jeans and a plaid sweater. The winter was about to end and she loved this half hot half cold wind in early spring mornings who usually remember the fall, her absolutely favorite season.

Putting her hair up in a messing bun, she walked downstairs finally feeling like a human being, fed the cats and sat at the breakfast table with Andrea and Claire to eat a bowl of yogurt and granola.

– How are you feeling, sis? Are you nervous? – Taylor asked Claire, playing with her curls.

– No, I'm happy! Finally I can learn some things about my first mom.– she gave them an innocent smile that made Andrea want to throw up. Poor little girl, she couldn't even imagine the amount of risk she was exposed to since her birth. Taylor forced a smile at her and looked at Andrea, heartbroken too.

The detective was more than happy with their suggestion of forgetting everything he ever knew about this story when Andrea handed him a fat check, with a huge amount of zeros, more than enough for him to live the rest of his life without work if he wanted to. No one has to know Claire's origins.