Double surprise

Chapter 4

June 1st, 2017

Andrea woke up with more than normal anxiety that morning.

In addition to Taylor's arrival within a few hours, she had received a call from Mr Miles the day before saying that the caseworker's report had been delivered a week in advance, and that even that day the judge could give her temporary custody of Claire.

She quickly changed and went downstairs to make coffee, but didn't drink it. Instead she opted for a glass of water, hoping that could ease her nerves.

Kitty, unlike her owner, was lying serenely on the sofa in the living room, with nothing to worry about.  Seeing her, Andrea couldn't help but giggle softly and stroke the soft fur.

– Why all this panic, huh?  Everything is going to be alright, isn't it Kitty?

As if she answered, the dog barked and Andrea hugged her.

– Thanks for the advice, Kitty – she joked and turned on the television, just to have something to do.

At nine o'clock sharp, Andrea was startled by the noise of her phone.

Seeing it was the lawyer, the lump in her throat tightened even more, and she could barely whisper a "hello."

– Andrea, you did it.  Congratulations, Claire's custody is yours...

The lawyer spent a few more minutes talking, during which she couldn't pay attention to more than two or three words.

So she set the phone down on the table, picked up her bag, and with tears streaming down her face, walked over to Dom.

- Good morning darling.

- Madam, what happened? - the driver looked at her, worried.

“Nothing bad, don't worry.” Andrea said with a smile as Dom opened the door for her. “I got temporary custody of that little one".

Dom was smiling and his eyes were teary.  As a father he understood the relief Andrea must be feeling.  Sure, it was temporary custody, but it was already a step in the right direction.

Smiling, the man turned around and started driving.  They would have to go first to the lawyer's office, which had the document signed by the judge, and then to the orphanage, to pick up the child.

Andrea's mind was racing.The day would be long, and at the end of it her two girls would be under one roof. What more could a mother want?

Her phone flashed, and she saw Taylor's message, advising her that the plane had stopped for gas, and that in three hours at the most she would be home, and asking if she could meet them at the airport.

– Dom, get ready to work hard today.  Taylor arrives in about 3 hours and asked me to meet her at the airport.

– It is a pleasure to work for you and Miss Swift.

– You are an exemplary employee. It is a pleasure to have you with us for so many years.

Dom smiled shyly and thanked her.

Andrea pondered for a while, and then replied that she would be there, and that she had a surprise waiting for her at the airport.

The woman laughed and once again looked at the driver.

– It will be the perfect opportunity for Taylor to find out she has a sister, and for Claire to find out whose sister she will be.

– Miss Swift doesn't know you're adopting the girl? – the driver asked, surprised.