My First Friend

Cap 12– My First friend

– Please mom, I'm not blind, there's something going on and I need to know what it is. You're clearly upset.
The woman opened her mouth to protest, but this time her son-in-law put his foot on the conversation.
– Don't worry about the little princess, Andrea. I keep her occupied if she finishes her class before you two are done with the conversation.
Throwing her arms up in rendition, Andrea took the hand Taylor offered and they headed upstairs, locking them in her room.
Before she could say anything, however, Taylor hugged her, and the woman burst out crying for a few minutes. After she calmed down a little, Taylor sat on the bed next to her.
– So, what's going on, mom?
– Ah, honey, maybe I ruined Claire's life being her mom, maybe I'm, in fact, way too old to be a mom.– breaking down again. 
– Mom, come on, are you hearing yourself? You saved Claire's life, you gave her a future! Where did this just come from?– Taylor asked softly, rubbing circles in her back.
Andrea took deep breaths and dried her tears with her hands.
– Yesterday we were at the club, and we are having a great day until we decided to walk to the restaurant. In the middle of the way there a middle aged woman heard Claire calling me mommy and commented out loud with her friend she found cute when kids called "mommy" their grandmas.
Taylor gasped and lifted her mom's face so they could look at each other.
– What the hell! You can't let her wrong judgment affect the love you have for Claire or the feeling you did the right thing. There's no age limit to be a mom! You told me the day that you adopted her!
– I know, but it hurts too much and I can't stop thinking that every time I drop her at school next year her colleagues are gonna make fun of her for having an old lady as her mom.  I just beat a fucking cancer, and as much as we know that shit can back and she'll have a sick mom. I just think she deserves a younger and healthy mommy…
– Mom, enough! Stop saying and thinking like this. Even young and healthy mommies can be murdered or hitted by a car, or drow in a pool… You gave a poor kid a future and the chance to get a mommy hug whenever she needs. Don't let a fucking prejudiced lady mess with your head!
Andrea let out a little laugh, leaving Taylor in confusion.
– What?– She asks.
– When I heard the woman I tried to ignore, but Claire listened to her and refused to continue walking…
– OMG… Don't tell me she taught the woman a little lesson…
– Exactly what she did. She told her she didn't know how old she was, and that she didn't ask because that should be impolite, but she knew she was old enough to understand the word prejudice.
Taylor let out a laugh.
– She 's amazing.
– And she added that she didn't have to apologize because she couldn't accept them.
Now Taylor was bursting out laughing.
– OMG, I love her so much. See, mom, she knows what really matters, she knows your age doesn't change the love you have for each other. Please, don't let this awful woman disturb you.
Andrea shed a few tears and sighed.
– I always feel proud of myself for being a confident mom. I knew how to raise you and Austin, I never had doubts about my ability to be a mom. But so much time has passed since I raised a child. I've been struggling to believe in myself this time. I'm feeling lost and after yesterday I ended up letting my insecurities get the best of me.
– Oh mom, I get where you are coming from, but please remember you are extraordinary! You already know how to be a mom… but if you are struggling to remember it, why not ask for some professional help? A therapist could help you understand the feelings you bottle up inside. Letting this consume you won't make any good.
Andrea gave a grateful look to Taylor and nodded. That could solve the problem.
– Thanks, baby, is an excellent idea actually.
[...]
Later that day
– Tay, it's your turn! – Joe said with a playfully smile.
She sighed. As much as she loves playing hide and seek she hated when she had to discover their hiding places. Hiding was so much more fun…
– Fine.
The blondie closed her eyes, covering them with her hands and counting to thirty while Claire and Joe wondered where the best hiding spot would be.
Silently Joe pointed to the tree, and Claire bit her lip to not laugh seeing a 1,90 m guy climbing the huge apple tree.
She decided to hide between the blushes instead, where a few stone angels made a perfect place for someone as little as her to hide.
– … Twenty eight, Twenty nine, Thirty!
She opened her eyes, looking around. No sign of them in obvious places.
She heard the ring bell but ignored it, knowing Andrea was inside to open the door.
– Where the fuck they are…
She searched between the pool chairs and small brushes, her back facing the spot where Claire was hiding.
Then, Joe couldn't help but laugh, and when he did, she looked in his direction and spotted her shoes.
Her mouth drops and she walk to him.
– Joe, come on! In the apple tree! This isn't fair, you know!
– Well, love, I'm a little tall,you know, it's difficult to hide, but I did it well this time.
– No, you didn't. I found you.– She said, rolling her eyes.
– Yes, I did Miss Swift. You only found me because I couldn't keep my mouth shut.
– Where the fuck is Claire, I'm getting scared.
Joe use his actor skills to not laugh this time, seeing Claire quietly walking behind Taylor.
What happened next was a tall blonde woman bloody screaming after Claire hugged her legs from behind.
– You scared the shit out of me, your little troublemaker…– she said and ran after her sister while Joe was falling on the floor, not being able to stop laughing.
Eventually Taylor gets Claire and both of them roll on the floor, laughing from the tickles they were giving each other.
– There they are, my two baby girls.
Andrea's voice stopped them, and Taylor went crimson red seeing a social worker at her mom's side with a paper and pen in hands.
– Hi– Taylor stood up and broke the silence first, and Claire immediately held her hand tied.
She looked at her sister, heartbroken seeing how scared she was.
– It's ok, Claire.– she whispered to her.
Seeing the kid was uncomfortable, Mrs Edmond went to them and bend down to greet her.
– Hi, Claire. I'm Samantha, but you can call me Sam.
– Hi– she squeezed the woman's hand shyly.
– You are living here for almost two weeks, right?
She nodded.
– Yeah, the happiest two weeks of my life. – she said, smiling at Taylor and Andrea.
Andrea and Taylor exchanged emotional looks.
– Can you show me your room while we talk?
– Course. Follow me please. And don't be scared of our dog Kitty, she's adorable.
Joe smiled at Taylor.
– I'm a guy, but I'm melted for this sweetheart. I could dance ballet in those shining leotards for her.
Andrea and Taylor burst out laughing picturing Joe in glittery leotards.
– Seriously, Andrea, this kid blows my mind every time…
– I know, honey. She surprises me every day, and I couldn't be more grateful to her for filling the emptiness inside me. 
– When we saw Mrs Edmond she got blanky and my heart immediately broke seeing her so scared. Thank God this one knows how to do her job without scare the shit out of the kids.– she said, side hugging her mom.
– We should enter and wait for them in the living room.
– Yes.
Taylor sat besides Joe and in front of her mom, letting her head fall on his shoulders.
– Why were you laughing like crazy when we got there? You all laughed so hard I found it hard to hold back my own laugh and Mrs Edmond got so curious she stopped her questions to ask what you're doing.
Joe laughs out loud and Taylor slaps her arm playfully.
– Stop, it's not funny anymore.  We were playing hide and seek in the garden, and I couldn't find any of them. Then, Joe laughed and I spotted her foot at the top of the apple tree.
Andrea laughed loudly too.
– I'm sorry, what?– She asks in disbelief.
– Exactly what you heard mom. Then I needed to find Claire, and she decided to hug my legs from behind. I almost had a panic attack. I could've fallen in the pool.
Andrea and Joe were crying from laughter and Taylor was doing her best to not laugh too.
– The amount of life and joy Claire is giving us is unmatched.
Joe and Taylor just nodded and Andrea smiled at them.
– You know, I would be honored by being a grandma in a couple years.
– Mom, stop!– Taylor pouted, red from embarrassment, as well as Joe. – Go ask Austin for children or wait five, six or seven more years.
The matriarch bit her lips and decided to change the topic before the couple were dead from embarrassment.
– So, I was thinking about maybe show up at LA the next weekend and watch you film part of the video.
Taylor felt her eyes full of tears.
– Would you do that for me?
– Oh, honey, I would do anything for my three kids. And I know how important is this video for you.
Taylor ran to her arms, hugging her tied.
– Thanks! This is going to be awesome!
When they let out the hug, Andrea remembered something.
– Hey, Taylor and Joe, I need a favor from both of you. Can you take Claire with you for the night? Tomorrow morning they are going to bring a special present I got for her and I wanted It to be a surprise.
– OMG, what is it? – Taylor said excitedly.
Andrea pulled up her phone and Joe neared to see the picture.