Hardly Working

AnnaLeigh Malfoy

"Welcome back, Dr Malfoy" another nurse chirped as she rushed past me. She was the 10th person today to congratulate me on coming back to work and usually that would make me feel comforted but really.

I just felt out of place.

It's been a week since what happened at Hogwarts and Draco refused to talk about it.

He won't tell me what he did or where he did it. All he had to say was 'He's taken care of, Darling. I don't need you to worry anymore'

and I'm starting to think it's for the best.

I felt a sense of relief hearing those words leave his mouth. I trust my Husband with everything in me and although he hasn't said a word, I just knew Alden was bleeding when we left.

The case still had so many openings and although my sense of ease, I couldn't seem to push myself away from the edge and it was only making things more difficult to focus on my job.

My mind has been racing back and forth all day. Being gone for so long, I hadn't had the chance to check up on any of my patients or complete any of my surgeries and just now, it was all catching up to me.

Draco sat in his office, crowing in paperwork and I just wish I could help him but it wasn't my business.

"Malfoy, we need you for a consult on bed 4" another nurse rushed up to me, her hands filled with books and files.

"Right, talk as we walk" I said as I signed the last pieces of discharge papers for another patient before slipping it back into its slot.

"Ok" the nurse huffed "Carson Mugs, 43 year old male found unconscious at the scene after a nasty fall down a set of concrete stairs in a park" She explained as I pulled the gloves onto my hands and approached the bed.

"Still unconscious" I said to myself as I stopped beside him and began to examine his wounds. I pressed my hands against his clothes abdomen, covered in a ripped and blood stained t-shirt until I pressed against one spot in particular.

This caused him to unexpectedly shoot up from the bed, nearly knocking me from my feet in the process, with a loud scream of pain and confusion.

I shook off my surprise and approached him again.

"Where-Where am I?! Let me go—what is this?!" He shouted in distress as he wiggled from my grasp, making it very hard for me to tend to him.

"Sir, my name is Dr Malfoy, you're in a hospital after taking a nasty fall. I need to to calm down for me so I can prove the extent of your injures" I said gently and calmly, pushing against his chest to get him to lay down again.

"My wife—my wife! She was with me, where is she—"

"Was there anyone else at the scene?" I asked the healer that brought him in.

"No, it was just him" He shook his head.

I nodded and turned back to the patient.

"Can you tell me your name sir, or, your wife's name?" I asked as he breath heavily and fast, continuing to push me away.

"Her names-Her names Sherrie—"

"Sherrie? That's good, that's good" I nodded "Do you think that Sherrie would want you to get the care you need? Want you to be safe and looked after"

He nodded slowly.

"Ok, I need you to lay back down and let me help you so you can be all better for her" I whispered and that's when he finally stopped fiddling and slowly laid back down on the bed.