Those You Least Expect

AnnaLeigh Malfoy

We walked in silence for the most part.

I used to be accustomed to the silence but as the days past, and especially recently, I've felt myself being afraid of the silence because nothing good ever became afterwards.

Draco's hand was in mine, trying to comfort me in the best way he knew he could but I still felt uneasy. I feel as though I'm destined to forever be uneasy and out of my mind.

Like everything has just finally taken its toll.

It's almost as though I was used to the feeling. It never felt good but at least it was no longer a surprise when I felt my stomach churn and my head spin.

"What's on your mind?" Draco asked as he noticed my eyes glued to the ground as we walked through the hall.

"What's not on my mind?" I responded and looked up at him for a brief moment "Would be a better question to ask"

"I wish you didn't have to do this" he said "I hate having to hold your hand through this. I hate having to see the looks on your face"

"I hate it just as much" I said and went to speak again until I noticed Mr Trotter stop just in front of us at a heavy, copper, closed door.

"If this gets too much just let me know and we'll leave" he said as he rummaged through his pocket before pulling out a small golden key.

"It's locked with a key?" I asked curiously "Shouldn't it be bound with magic of something?"

"It was but he's quite skilled in wandless magic and and has broken through custody more than once" he said and pushed the key through the small hole in the handle.

I held onto Draco's hand tighter, the fear that it was someone I actually knew or someone that is close to me, would he sitting in this cell.

What would I say? What would I do and how would I feel?

But as he pushed open the door, other than feeling betrayed and upset.

I was confused.

I let go of Draco's hand and walked closer, questioning if my eyes were deceiving me or if this was actually real.

"Do you know him?" Mr Trotter asked from behind me.

I slowly nodded my head and looked back at Draco who held the same look of confusion. He stepped past Mr Trotter and examined closely and for the first time in a while, Draco looked absolutely speechless.

"Wow" I whispered and almost laughed "You're fucking kidding me?"

"Name?" Mr Trotter asked.

"Laten" I responded and at his name, the man of the floor looked up at us "My mothers husband"

"That's impossible" Draco shook his head and crouched to Laton's level "He's a muggle your mother met in Vegas"

"He's no muggle, Mr Malfoy, I can assure you" Mr Trotter said and pushed himself between Draco and I "He's been tried for drug abuse and unlawful use of the imperial curse but escaped Custody a year ago"

I frowned and without thinking, slapped Laton right across the cheek. He groaned and leant back, clutching the side of his face with his hand.

"You married my mother, you piece of shit!" I spat and that's when Draco stood and stepped in front of me before I could lunge again "Was it all some ploy to get to me?"

He said nothing and looked away, burying his face on the corner of the wall.

I scoffed and shrugged Draco's grip off me before stepping back toward Mr Trotter.