Corrupted Lungs

AnnaLeigh Malfoy

"Hey, are you doing anything right now?" Draco asked as he came up from behind me, hugging his arms around my waist and kissing the side of my neck.

"Prepping a patient for the OR" I said as if it were already obvious as I checked through the patients folder "Who is awake, conscious and staring at us right now"

"Oh don't worry about me, dear" The elderly woman chuckled "I lost my husband 3 years ago. It's nice to see such a wonderful happy couple again"

"I'm sorry" Draco smiled softly at her.

"Don't be" she waved off "He held on for one too many years as it was"

"Ok, are you ready to go?" My eyes shortly widened as I laughed.

"As I'll ever be" the woman smiled as I gestured for a few nurses to take her up. They nodded and started to roll her bed away.

"I've got a meeting in town with the Hospital board. Just like every Wednesday" Draco sighed as he took a step away from me. I turned around and looked up at him "I'm leaving you in charge until I get back, ok?"

"That's fine" I smiled "I've got this surgery then I'm pretty much roaming for the rest of the day"

"That's good" he leant down and kissed the tip
of my nose softly "I won't be long just try not to burn the Hospital down, yeah?"

I laughed and slapped his chest lightly "Don't tempt me, Malfoy"

"Ok, I'm gonna go change then leave before I'm late" he said, rubbing my arm slightly "I'll see you later"

"Bye, love" I smiled before he turned around and left from my sight. Once he was gone, I sighed and looked down at this woman's chart.

It was a surgery I've done plenty of times before perfectly. It would only take me about 3 hours, maybe less if there's no complications. For the rest of the day, I had nothing to do and I guess that would give me time to just relax and over see everything.

I placed her folder back into the slip hanging across the bed Before waking down the hall to the Operating Room.

~

It's been a couple of hours since my surgery and to say I was relaxing, would be absolutely inane. I haven't sat down since this morning.

Draco's job was a lot more complex and run off then I thought it was. I ought to cut him some slack when he comes home this after noon.

"Dr Malfoy we have a requested consult for you in room 5" A nurse walks up beside me as I looked over at the surgery schedule.

"Ok, I'll be right there" I said and dismissed her away. She nodded and took off in the opposite direction. I stepped back from the operation board and looked down at my watch.

I was only 8 hours into what was a 48 hour shift and already I wanted to collapse onto my bed.

"Hey, Janine, can you push Dr Edwards Laparoscopy and have him come see me, please?" I smiled at her.

"Of course" she nodded.

I thanked her and went to walk away until my pager, hung on the side of my pants, started to beep uncontrollably. I frowned and looked down.

999 in the ER.

I groaned internally and took off in a rush downstairs where the ER was.

Once I was there, I found myself standing in the middle for he room puzzled.

There was no patients in need of urgent care, no one rushing around, no one yelling.

So what the hell did I get paged for?