Hero Of Mist

Naruto watched as the 501st started to depart from the now ruined city of Osaka after having stolen all its resources and valuables, including many of the villagers who shall be now used as slaved in Kirigakure. It was a gruesome reality of war and one he was not comfortable with, but had no choice but to obey if he was to keep his cover.

More importantly, since he was the one who butchered half the city, he had no right to call out the Kiri shinobi on taking slaves. It would be hypocrisy of the highest order.

Still, a part of his heart was saddened by all this conflict.

He had already lived through one great war and now he was participating in another one. Only this time he had nothing left to lose and the only thing keeping him going was his promise to his little brother.

No matter what pain comes my way, I will protect the village that you died for...Nagato. I will protect Uzu just like Father, Mother and you did even if it means becoming the monster I am today.

He would get no reward or recognition for his service to the nation, possibly even die in the course of this mission and be buried in an unmarked grave but that was the fate he had accepted. For a true ninja protected their home from the shadows.

He remained silent even as another person stepped beside him and joined him in observing the ruined city.

Their eyes settled over the villagers left behind as they tried to salvage what was left of their homes, many more were clinging to their dead with their wails of despair disturbing even the most hardened shinobi.

"Is there no way for people to live without conflict?" asked Naruto hesitantly, as his partner heaved a sigh.

"I don't think so. This world is destined for such pain as long as humans exist, no matter how much we wish for peace there will always be others among us who desire for war. Such is the nature of our race as each of us is divided by nation, clan, beliefs and preferences. Each of us believes themselves to be right while finding fault in others. As long as such thinking exists, war will continue to happen" answered Ino sadly,

She watched as those words hit her partner hard as he clenched his fists and closed his eyes.

"Naruto..."

"I want this war to end so people like me are never born. At the same time, I know that my actions will result only in more people like me being born. How can such a paradox exist? I can never ever forgive the ones who killed my family yet today in my quest of justice I am doing the same things that was done to my family. Aside from my desire to protect my village...I don't even know who I am anymore" confessed Naruto miserably,

"Then don't forget who you were"

He blinked and looked at his wife in surprise even as she gave him a warm smile.

"We are both despicable people who have done terrible things all in the name of protecting our home. This burden, we have to live with it everyday. But we don't have to be alone in this pain, nobody else can understand us but we know each other. Which is why I want you to trust me and I want to trust you. Together we can bear this pain" she offered him, even as she looked at him with that smile.

"How can we do that?" he asked hesitantly,

She offered him her hand.

"My true name is...Inoue Yamanaka, though my family always called me Ino, reason the codename" introduced the female hunter ninja with a smirk,

She frowned when the man in front of her froze.

"Naruto?"

"It was my mother's name" he confessed, making her smile vanish as she understood she had caused him pain.