Defiance

It had been a day since conflict had begun for the conquest of Tiger Hill.

The Allies had superior numbers, more resources and lethal firepower whereas the defenders of the Terran Federation had superior defensive positions, a buttload of traps, well entrenched Zetsu forces and the legendary Spartans.

It resulted in a stalemate much to the Allies frustration.

Several times they had attacked in waves and had been sent back running with heavy losses. From the 100,000 who had came here, more than 15,000 were dead with another 5,000 in various wounded states.

The defenders had only lost a few hundred Zetsu.

Naruto exhaled a plume of smoke from his pipe to put some much needed warmth in his body, as unlike the Spartans who had Chakra Armor, he only had his traditional Spartan uniform with his armor destroyed in the previous battle. He idly wondered if that would have helped him hold the massive army before him for two more days atleast.

"They are going to launch an all out attack" he declared, as he watched the enemy's final preparations.

"Every last one of them?" asked Kushina hesitantly,

"Yes. At best, we will be able to hold them for today. I wish we could do more than that but it looks really impossible, there are far too many even for us Spartans" answered Naruto,

Kushina cursed and swiftly went to ensure her men were ready for the onslaught as Nagato looked at his elder brother.

"You seem quite calm, Elder Brother" he said carefully, making Naruto look at him.

"Do you remember the few games we played as children before war forced us to become men so soon?" asked Naruto with a nostalgic grin,

"Kings and Generals" replied Nagato happily,

"I was always good at it, even at that young age. Pretended that I was Arima Namikaze reborn" mused Naruto amusedly,

Nagato's eyes widened as he remembered those instances when his brother had always loved to play the role of Arima Namikaze- one of their ancestors. Their mother had been very dutiful in teaching them the history of their clan, Nagato had been more interested in his Uzumaki bloodline but his brother was always fond of the Namikaze clan history.

It hadn't taken him long to find his first hero from their shared lineage- Arima Namikaze.

"The Young Wolf who never lost a battle. You made Mother so worried when you proclaimed you would be just like him and avenge our father-Yahiko when he died at the hands of Kumogakure shinobi" reminisced Nagato,

The woman had been right to fear as Arima Namikaze had been a young teenage boy when his clan suffered a terrible defeat at the hands of their rival - Kaizen clan whose descendants would in the future be powerful Raikage's. Losing both his parents and a sister, he had swore vengeance and gathered what little supporters he could.

Much to everyone's shock, he won numerous battles against his larger and powerful enemies for he was better at war than most grown men of his time. He achieved his vengeance by killing the ones who slayed his family but also lost his life in the final battle with his loyal wolf clan summon by his side.

It was a tale of bravery, skill, loyalty, sacrifice and tragedy.

When Nagato looked back now, perhaps his brother's declaration to be just like his hero had been prophetic. For when their father was killed, Naruto picked up arms with the few allies he could muster in the form of the Spartans, together they won battle after battle and ensured their sworn enemy's defeat in the war but he survived, while his comrades didn't.